Thursday, September 3, 2026

Good Old times, by Effie Johnson (1868)

 Telegraph & Chronicle, Norwich, NY, April 8, 1868

Good Old Times

by Effie Johnson

About the time - we have not the exact date - that the south part of Guilford was thus being settled, the valley of the Unadilla River, which forms its eastern boundary began to attract attention.  People in general were shy of the valley with its enormous pines, its low flat lands, and its river, which during the Spring freshets overflowed its banks even worse than it now does, and therefore purchased farms at a safe distance back upon the hills.  Mr. L. Cornell, of Guilford [Chenango Co., NY], and Mr. Pettengill of Butternuts [Otsego Co. NY], were of this number.  Mr. Ezekiel Wheeler purchased a farm directly upon the river and built a large house, famous in the days of our grandfathers for its honey parties.  Emboldened perhaps by his example, or about this time, we hear the names of Hayes, Richmond, Winsor, Chamberlain and Smith, mingled with the stories of "good old times." A log tavern kept by Mr. Smith was the forerunner of the present old Latham stand [in 1868]. A log schoolhouse across the street was the first schoolhouse in the town. Religious services were often held here, so this may be considered the first nucleus of a church, in a town which now contains 14 church edifices in most of which weekly services are held. 

We must believe that the young people of those days were rather gay by their own showing, for we hear of the merry husking bees and quiltings and dancing parties held in the old Richmond house which contained the only dancing hall for miles around. They tell us of the rare old current wine, which never maddened people as the poisoned liquors of today do; of the famous mince pies made of the great yellow apples which grew in the corn field, yet so skillfully seasoned that the good old Connecticut settler smacked their lips rejoicing that they were once more permitted to taste the old fashioned apple mince pie.  It seems strange to us, to think of the dear old silver haired people so serene and good and maybe a very little intolerant of youthful follies to think of these same old people, skipping around in the very lively dances of those days, cutting the pigeon wing, dancing the Virginia reel, the country dance, &c, &c.  Well, it must be that wisdom comes with riper years.  

Rafting in those days was an exciting employment.  Thousands of feet of the grand old pine lumber which this section of country produced, were lashed together into enormous rafts, a cabin well stocked with provisions, was built and then when the river was very high, during the spring freshets, these rafts were started for Baltimore, each raft carrying men enough to manage it.  It was rapid riding enough, even if steamboats were unknown.  

Norwich was not much like the wide-awake thriving village it is now [in 1868]. A small "settlement" consisting of a few houses was all of Norwich and the "highway" between the valleys of the Chenango and Unadilla, was only a bridle path. The same mode of communication existed between Norwich and New Berlin.  People might ride on horseback or walk, as best suited their inclination.  Ladies might be permitted to ride behind their liege lords upon the same horse if they chose to, or they might ride alone. 

A lady belonging to one of the families whose names I have mentioned, started on horseback, in company with a lady friend to visit an acquaintance who lived some five or six miles distant. They were rather late on their return, and the shadows of the old forest were pretty dim long before they had reached the clearing in which their house was situated.  Mrs. R. became conscious that they were pursued and the stealthy pattering of the footfalls which now and then reached her ear, she knew too well. She was aware also of the excessive timidity of her companion and knew if she should tell her a wolf was following them, she would perhaps faint and fall from her horse, thus rendering her doom certain.  So, laughing gaily and speaking very loud, she challenged her for a race, and no one would have imagined from the manner of the gay laughing girl, that her heart was quaking with mortal fear.  It was only after they had reached the clearing around their home, and she turned and pointed to the dim figure of a hugh black wolf, who, with fiery eyes stood watching them just within the wood, that her friend knew of the fearful peril they had escaped.

"I had a little adventure which I did not care to have repeated," said old Mr. R., whose reminiscences of the olden time had beguiled many a weary hour.  "Do let us hear it," said his auditors, for Grandpa R's stories were always worth the hearing.  "I was a young man in those days and my chief and almost my only possessions consisted in a fine young horse, which I was riding across the hills from Norwich to New Berlin. It was late and I hurried on fearing the night would overtake me, and a knew that to pick my way down the hillside in the narrow path I was riding would be almost an impossibility.  My fears were realized.  Night came on dark enough while I was yet far from any dwelling.  What could I do?  Wild beasts were plenty; even now I could hear the distant howl of the wolf and without a light, with no means to build a fire to frighten them away, camping out was not to be thought of.

So, I gave my horse his head, and for a while he carried me on safely.  When just as I began to hope, his feet went from under him, and I found, on trying to get him up, that he had slipped partly under a large log, which I could not move anymore than I could the mountain.  Poor fellow, he tried hard to get on his feet again, but it was of no avail.  I began to fear he was fatally injured.  I had not much faith but thought I would try the power of my lungs, as it was my only resort.  How long I had halloed, I cannot tell, but it seemed a long time, when I fancied I heard an answering shout.  Then I shouted with redoubled energy and heard an answering halloa.

Soon after, a light appeared in the distance and help, yes, surely was coming, two strong men with a lantern, who helped me get up my horse, which was unhurt and took us to their hospitable home.  It certainly seemed like a providence that this man whose home was almost a mile away, should open the door of his house and stand awhile looking out before retiring for the night, which he was about to do, and it seems providential too, that he should have heard my voice which was not the loudest (though I did do my best) calling for help just at that moment.  Altogether, I felt very grateful and happy.  Grateful to my heavenly Father as well as to my earthly friends, as I laid my head upon a soft pillow, instead of the frozen ground and enjoyed one of the best night's rest of my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment