Bainbridge, Chenango Co., NY in Review
Items from Bainbridge Republican during the years of World War I
September 20, 1917
The Casein Company buildings have recently received a thorough painting and they certainly look fine. The work was done by the Teachout Brothers. It took 150 gallons of paint to do the job.
The Central Hotel in this village owned by Charles W. Ireland will be closed October 1st unless someone comes forward and rents the place. Mr. Choate, who has conducted the business, will leave October 1st and Mr. Ireland is willing to keep the property as a hotel providing it is rented by someone. If it is not rented by October 1st, Mr. Ireland will convert the place into some other business. This hotel ought not to close and it would not seem that anyone acquainted with the hotel business could pass this opportunity Mr. Ireland himself cannot run it as his other business occupies his full time. Bainbridge people who have enjoyed the hospitality of this popular hostelry for years ought to interest themselves and endeavor to keep it open if possible.
Mr. and Mrs. Rexford Thornton, of Buffalo, are spending some time with Mrs. Thornton's father, G.J. Spohn. Mr. Thornton, having passed his military examination expects to be called soon by Uncle Sam.
Moritz Roehlk leaves Saturday for Montana, after spending a few weeks with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jens Roehlk.
Sergeant Edwin Collins of the First Ambulance Company who has been in Bainbridge on a short furlough received orders to go to Spartansburg and he left last evening.
September 27, 1917
Fire on Saturday evening last damaged the home of Julien Scott on North Main street to the extend of $2000. The loss is covered by insurance. At 8:30 on Saturday evening, people passing detected smoke and upon investigating, a fire was seen burning briskly within the house at the rear. The alarm was given and firemen were quickly on the scene but before their arrival, volumes of smoke were coming from all parts of the house. the fire, which evidently had started in a stairway leading from the kitchen to the cellar, burned through the second floor and broke out through the roof. Both Mr. and Mrs. Scott were away and did not know of the fire until the alarm was given. the origin of the fire is attributed to an electric wire.
Contractor S.J. Bennett has commenced constructing a macadam road on Pearl street a distance of 450 feet from West Main street. The road will be 16 feet wide. Mr. Bennett has also started repairs on the Scott residence on north Main street which was damaged by fire Saturday night.
We are urged by men who have weighed the subject carefully and viewed it from every angle to keep up our moral life in America just as far as possible, for only in that way shall we enable our boys at the front to do their best. Just as soon as we lose our balance and become over anxious, no one can do his best at home or abroad.
A sample of Norwich water is now being analyzed in an effort to establish whether a crime has been committed here or elsewhere. Some time ago a Norwich druggist withdrew a barrel of Whiskey from a bonded warehouse in New York City; had it transported to the Ontario and Western freight office and thence to Norwich and to his place of business. A few days after it was delivered to the owner in Norwich, a sample of the contents was taken for the purpose of proving. It proved to be pure water. A claim has been presented.
The following list of articles have been completed by the Red Cross Society and sent to Norwich [in support of the war effort]:
Pajama suits, 56
Hospital shirts, 82
Bath robes, 34
Surgical gowns, 42
Surgical helmets, 30
Surgical stockings 7
Bed socks, 13 pair
Wide bandages, 14
T bandages, 14
Hot water bottle covers 10
Air pillow covers, 132
Knitted Articles: surgical wipes, sweaters, stockings, wristlets, bed socks, mufflers, helmet and abdominal bands.