Sunday, April 21, 2024

Letters from the Civil War, February 1863 (Capt. H.W. Shipman)

 Letter From Capt. H.W. Shipman

Binghamton Republican

Aquia Creek. Va. Feb. 23. 1963

Friend Stuart:  I see that my name is spelled right in your paper, and I am not shot in the back, and consequently cannot claim to have arrived at that military glory that Doctor Martin so often spoke of at Rexford's corner.  How many of those that used to assemble there have gone!  Doctor Jackson, whom we used to meet there, was the last man that I expected to hear was dead, as I left him hale and hearty as he wished me well as I left Binghamton [Broome Co. NY].  Since I wrote you, I have visited Alexandria and the hotel where the gallant Ellsworth fell.  It is a dark looking place, fit only for such a deed of treason.  While I was in Alexandria, I found a great number of Binghamton men and felt much at home.  J. Whitney, who was not taken prisoner was there and met me with his usual politeness and made my stay very pleasant.  I would like to tell you all that occurred in this letter but there were so many Binghamton boys there that I cannot mention them all.  H. Saunders is running a government bakery doing a good thing for himself and the government.  I stayed with him overnight.  I am proud to say that whenever I met Binghamton men and I meet them every week, they are right every time, and there is a sympathy manifested that we don't know of until we meet far away from home.

Jan. 10th, 1863, Orders:  Orders for five days rations and to be ready to march at twelve hours' notice continued until the 19th, when we left our beautiful camp at Fairfax and started for the front and expected to be in the fight at Fredericksburgh, but the next day after we started, it began to rain, and such mud!  If I should tell the truth there are hardly any of your readers who would believe me.  We very much regretted that Col. Knox and Bob Andrews did not join G.M. Doolittle who was with us when we started and came with us and saw the elephant.  They were all from Windsor and they would have seen something to talk about as long as they lived.  I had the roll called and all answered to their names, but when night came, I found that none answered except Doolittle.  They must look out for I shall have them arrested when I come home and bring them back with me.  Doolittle stood it like a Major and when we arrived at Aquia Creek we gave him a furlough for his energy and faithfulness in helping the men out of the mud on the march.  There are a good many things connected with our march that I cannot write about.  But I am proud of the 137th.  We have gone through much fatigue & hard labor both officers and men, from hard marches and sickness.  There has been no shrinking from any duty that we have been called upon to perform.  Col. Ireland often set us an example on the march by carrying the soldier's muskets and equipage and often would give the care worn his horse to ride and take his place on foot, cheering and encouraging his men through snow and mud.  His Regiment would not change him for any military man in the army.

Some way it always happens that we are always in the mud when it should be dry.  For a week before the last advance on Fredericksburgh the roads were dry and hard. There is a screw loose somewhere or Fredericksburgh would have been in our hands before this time. We were seven days marching from Fairfax Station to Aquia Landing.  It is about the same quality of soil that I described in my last letter and if it was in the possession of the Northern men with their industry it would soon become the garden - the garden of the world.  Its mild climate and fine soil so easily brought to and tilled, would soon fill the markets of the north with nearly all of the fruits of tropical regions.

If I know the North, they will not give up the ship until the hand of honest industry shall be protected even here in old Virginia.  If I should say that we often find grapevines that are four or eight inches through at the butt and measure 200 feet in length you would ask how large the grapes grow.  If I am in old Virginia next September, then I will let you know.

We are now encamped near Aquia Landing on a hill that commands and overlooks the little stream that we once before crossed at Harper's Ferry but now has grown to be a river four or five miles wide and dotted with hundreds of steamers and ships of all descriptions. We can see up and down the river for miles.  Between us and the Potomac are the remains of the Rebel fortifications where they continued to let loose their dogs of war at our shipping as they passed up and down the river. The dock where the business is done is one mile from us in full sight.

As we marched up to our camp and looked at the busy scene before us, I said to myself, I will put for that place (cars running and loading and unloading, it looked like our depot at Binghamton).  I shall see someone from there. Although almost worn out after seven days march, I off with my harness, leaving it with my trusty servant Dan and before I had fairly got there, I heard someone in the crowd call loudly for Capt. Shipman.  It was a son of widow Chase of Binghamton.  Welcome is a friend in time of need.  Weary and hungry and cold, after having lived on pork and hard tack you may imagine how I felt as I went to his tent and found beef steak cooking.  It was so fine that the potatoes, coffee or something else took the bad taste out of it and think of it, a bunk with straw in it and blankets to sleep on.  Such luxury is not found in the army regulations.  Soon I exchanged congratulations with Devoe, Whitney and others from B. wrapped myself in my friend's blankets with the Potomac on three sides of me and soon its dark blue waves rocked me to sleep with the pleasant dreams of the soldier of the dear ones that he has left behind.

I started for camp and have been busy every day in making ourselves huts and getting into shape so as to live comfortably.  Since we have had a number of Broome County men to visit us and if I fail to note all it will be for want of time, as I shall be on duty every day until I start for Binghamton on a ten days furlough.  H. and G. Dusenberry spent a day or two with us.  We could not give them very comfortable quarters, for we had just arrived here and had not got our house fixed or furnished. We say now, all come and if we don't put the white linen on, you may report us.

We were made glad by the Colesville men who came to see us.  L. and E. Northup, E.L. Mudge, P. Pratt and H.W. Mayhew.  I went to the front with them and they have seen some of the horrors of this terrible war.  As we strolled along the banks of the Rappahannock in mud knee deep with the city of Fredericksburgh in full view as near as Binghamton is from Camp Susquehanna, we could see the rebels as they passed from post to post.  Desolate indeed, as all around on our side not a fence or tree to be seen as far as the eye can reach.

The Lacy House once the resort of the chivalry and fashion looks like a deserted castle.  It is nearly as large as the inebriate Asylum at B. and is now occupied by our soldiers for a Guard House and the playgrounds and the walks once filled with the rose and cypress and one hundred acres of fruit trees are laid low by the ax and artillery.

Old Virginia has suffered for her treason and nothing but free labor and free schools can save her from a dreary and barren waste.  I think the secesh from Colesville will now be with us to fight it out, till our last armed foe expires.

Quite a number of boys from the glorious 27th Regiment have made us a visit. We welcomed them as among the brave.  Among them was young Whitney, son of my old friend Hon. Franklin Whitney, looking well and waiting with much solicitude for the time when he can see home again.  I would like to write of all who had ever been to see us.  But as I hope to see you all in a few days, I can tell you all about them.

Yours truly,  H.W. Shipman.

___________________________

Death of Joseph E. Brown

Sixteenth New York Battery, Camp Berry, D.C.

Friend Stuart:  With regret we ask you to publish the death of our fellow solider, Joseph E. Brown, of Maine, Broome Co. N.Y., aged 22 years.  He died March 3d, 1863 of pneumonia, after an illness of ten days.   Mr. Brown was beloved and respected by officers and privates.  He was a cheerful and sociable companion and was ever ready to discharge his duties as a soldier, being always in his place. He was faithful and reliable.  He was of healthful countenance and his death was unexpected.  His loss is deeply felt by the Company and more than once, have I seen the cloud of sorrow on the brow at the sad remembrance of our loss.  It was the privilege of the deceased to know that his end was near, and on the morning of the day previous to his death, before disease had thrown reason from her balance, he gave directions concerning his affairs and said he should not get well.  He requested the prayers of those around him and earnestly prayed for himself.  In the latter part of the day he said to the captain, "When I am dead take me home and bury me on the hill."  He was sent home for interment.    Stiles

No comments:

Post a Comment