Sunday, September 27, 2015

Harriet Shay Tells About Mormon Departure from Afton, NY

Mrs. Harriet Shay Deposition
Mormon Departure from Afton, Chenango Co., NY
March 27, 1903

I distinctly remember seeing the followers of Joseph Smith, Jr., of Mormon fame go by my father's, George Clapper's, house on the east side of the Susquehanna River in the town of Afton, County of Chenango, N.Y. between Afton, formerly South Bainbridge, and Nineveh, on what is now known as the Lewis Poole Farm.
 
To the best of my recollection there were eight (8) or ten (10) wagons.  They were covered like western emigrant wagons, and were drawn by oxen.
 
One reason I remember so distinctly of the wagons going by is from the fact that my uncle, Cornelius Atherton, was engaged to be married to Betsy Peck, daughter of Hezekiah Peck, who with his wife and son, Reed Peck, went with the Mormons at that time.  Hezekiah Peck forbade the marriage of Betsy and Uncle Cornelius unless he would join the Mormons and go with them. This Uncle Cornelius would not do.  That day was made impressive to me as I witnessed the sorrow of Uncle Cornelius who was at our house when the wagon train went by.
 
I also remember an incident which occurred about the same time which later became more familiar to me as I became acquainted with the parties.  Stephen Pratt was engaged to be married to a Peck girl, a relative of Hezekiah Peck.  I think her given name was Anna.  Just before the followers of Smith started, they ran away and were married, therefore they did not go with the Mormons.
 
I knew Reed Peck, son of Hezekiah, well after he deserted the Mormons at Kirtland, Ohio, or Nauvoo.  He came back to Afton and spent his days above the village on east side of the river.  His place is known as Pecks Mills.  He died about three years ago.  He was a man highly respected.
 
Mrs. Harriet E. Shay being duly sworn deposes and says that the above statement is true to the best of her knowledge and belief.
 
Harriet E. Shay
 
Subscribed and sworn to
before me this 27th day
of March 1903
     Delos VanWoert
     Notary Public

No comments:

Post a Comment