Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sidney Dimock Letter from the West, 1880

From the Far West
Bainbridge Republican, October 15, 1880
 
Leadville, Col. Oct. 3d
Friend Republican:  Since I last wrote you I have been so occupied in mining and prospecting, that I could not find time to write, or even think of past events.  I will now give you a few notes gathered by the way, incidental to the customs of this part of the world.  After a few months skirmishing among the "hills," I pitched my tent at the head of Bear Gulch, and located a claim that now promises to become a paying one.  I will describe the same as a claim, and not as a mine, because it cannot be rightfully called a mine until it produces pay ore; that is, ore that will yield fifty ounces of silver to the ton.  The rock taken from this claim crops to the surface, and carries a small percentage of silver, mixed with base metals, iron, copper and antimony.  It is the theory of practical miners that when the mineral bodies were formed, the base metals being lighter, were thrown at or near the surface, while the heavier and more precious ones, gold and silver, remain at a greater depth.  However true that may be, it often happens that old miners, with all their stories and knowledge of mines, are misled from the path of fortune, and some inexperienced one comes upon the scene and walks off with the precious metal.  Future development will test the richness of the claim mentioned.  The location is  upon the divide, or Backbone of the continent, and presents one of the most inspiring views to be witnessed upon the American continent, with the stately mountains of the Pacific slope to be seen a hundred miles away towards the setting sun; with their lofty peaks, resembling the dome of the National capital, and in point of architecture the New York state capitol, but a thousand times more imposing in appearance and grandeur.  At the same time one experiences the dreadful current of air sweeping across the divide at an altitude of thirteen thousand feet coming as it would seem directly form the Pacific ocean, with all the velocity of a South Sea hurricane.  I will mention some of the trials and pleasures of camp life.  Life in camp can be enjoyed with pleasant weather, but when the storms of the rocky Mountains are raging, then you realize the terrible situation.  Imagine yourself in camp the first of September, and the whole surface of the country about you covered with snow four inches deep, and when you awake in the morning find your tent surrounded with donkeys, and their musical tones warning you to roll out and attend to duties in camp.  In the month of August while riding in the saddle, I encountered one of the most violent snow storms known to any region; and at times during the tempest my horse refused to proceed any further and would plunge into the dense forest and there remain until the storm had abated.  The 20th of August, while proceeding up the mountain, I gathered a handsome bouquet of flowers, and when I had completed my bouquet I was obliged to seek shelter beneath a cliff of rocks, and there secluded myself one full hour from the driving snow storm. A few weeks ago, I had occasion to cross the range, a distance of fifty miles and departed from camp alone, taken saddle passage, with my Henry rifle to protect me from the "Big Ones;"  but the first day out I fell in company with my traveling companion, Smith.  While in camp a friend of his rode in and dismounted.  The friend was a lawyer form Leadville, one of those fellows that growl in the kennel of justice; he was looking after some mining interests near by, and had specimens of gold rock in his possession.  After a few remarks made in regard to his mission, he became very enthusiastic over his discoveries, and stated that the gold exhibited itself upon the surface a distance of nine thousand feet, and the party had located six claims upon the lode.  While describing the same in a manner peculiar to the profession, his mind wandered afar off to the golden fields; and therein was crowned a Bonanza king, in his mind.  We concluded, judging from his description of ore displaced, that the claims were worth about five cents.  I mention this to illustrate how the mining fever pervades the mind while operating in mines.  Upon my return to camp I had the pleasure of camping alone, and to make it the more pleasant, my horse escaped form camp and caused me to travel six miles before securing him.  So you see it is not all sunshine in the Rocky Mountains.  You would be surprised to see how fortunes are made and squandered in this wonderful mining region.  Many make fortunes in a short time, while others struggle along for years without accumulating anything.  Nothing is more uncertain than mining operations.  I have had men pointed out to me that have made a cool million in two years; and others that have lost twenty thousand or more in the attempt to increase their fortune.  It requires years to become familiar with the country and its prospects.  Ere long I will write you concerning Leadville life and adjoining camps.  Two New England clergymen having visited Leadville, in their description of the place, speak of having been to Hell, but admit they had a good time while there. The mystery is how they could enjoy themselves in such a place.
Sidney Dimock

No comments:

Post a Comment