Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Civil War Battle of South Mountain

Civil War Battle of South Mountain
by Martin M. Nash
 
The first battle that I was engaged in, was the battle of South Mountain--"A battle above the clouds."  The troops were Gen. Reno's and Hooker's Corps under command of Gen. Burnside.  All of the afternoon we had marched to the sound of the cannon and about 4 p.m. we came to the foot of the mountain and in cannon shot of the battle.
 
Gen. Hooker's troops had been fighting all day and were terribly strayed as we arrived.  The mountain was very steep, but a road cut by Gen. Bradock in the French and Indian war was used.  We met hundreds of wounded men full of enthusiasm, shouting and cheering us and the dying by the way-side cheered the old flag as we passed.
 
Near the summit was a level spot where a log house and barn had been built, both were full of wounded.  The troops halted near, and our Surgeon supposing the battle was near ordered me to nail the 89th Hospital Flag on the barn.  On coming back I found the Dr. and Regiment gone.
 
I hurried on up the mountain, reaching the top I saw the grandest panorama I ever saw.  The top of the mountain was clear and smooth and as far as I could see was a mass of struggling, fighting and cheering men.  Both sides were in plain sight and as long as life last shall I never forget that awful scene.  While watching the battle I saw Zouave soldiers and as they belong to my brigade I came up to them as they were advancing in line of battle, but as yet had not been engaged.  I just open my mouth to speak to a Col. when, what I thought were dead trees and stumps were altogether too live rebels.  They gave us a double volley at a short stone case.  Our old colonel was master of the situation and leaping on a rock gave the order "Right-wing.  Fire-left -wing fire and then fire-at-will."
 
Volley after volley, we gave and took, when to our joy up came a battery on the run.  A blast from a bugle they whirled into line and powered swift volleys on canisters into their ranks.
 
Compiler note:  The Battle of South Mountain was fought 14 September 1862 in Frederick and Washington Counties, Maryland - Crampton's, Turner's, and Fox's Gaps.
 
[Martin M. Nash served in Company F of the 89th NY Infantry--Age 18 years.  Enlisted, October 22, 1861, at Guilford, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. F, October 23, 1861; re-enlisted as a veteran, January 5, 1864; mustered out with company, August 3, 1865, at Richmond, Va.--Adjutant's Report]

No comments:

Post a Comment