Thursday, April 30, 2015

Elisha Pierce Writes from California - 1875

Letter from Elisha Pierce in California
Bainbridge Republican, June 12, 1875
 
Yaleville, May 17, 1875
Mr. Editor--Having just received a letter from Elisha Pierce (whom your readers will remember left Bainbridge [Chenango Co., NY[ last winter to seek his fortune in the land of gold), I thought I would send you such extracts as would be of interest to his friends, for publication.
 
Dear Friend--I received your letter some time ago but have not had time to answer it.  You may think that I might get time to write one letter but as true as you live I never worked so hard in my life, or lived as poor, as since I have been in Kern county.  This is roughing it worse than I ever expected it could be.  I will tell you something about how I live after I eat my supper, as it is almost ready, and I wish you were here to help me eat it, and keep me company for I am about one-half a mile from any house, and that is a cloth tent 8x10 feet.
 
I am now at work for E. Pierce on a part of the farm that Charles Peck was on, about seven miles from Bakersfield.  Dr. McLean furnishes team, feed and seed, and gives me one-half.  I do not know as I shall make anything, but I have got as good a chance as I could ask for.  I have got about twelve acres planted, six of which is up, and I am going to put in about eight more, which will be about all one man can attend to as it requires a good deal of labor to irrigate it.
 
It is very lonesome here, none to talk to, but I most stand it.  I must now go to bed, hoping the rising sun will find us all right, I bid you good night.
 
 May 18--I am all right today, never felt better in my life, if I can go it until fall without the chills I shall be all right.  The doctor says if I am sick he will take me home and take care of me, so you see I am not without friends.  I got a piece of beef of a neighbor yesterday, he had a quarter, he did not tell me how he came by it, but I don't think it quite safe for cattle to stray off too far from home in this part of California.
 
I have killed two rattle snakes, one came very near biting me.
 
I will tell you what I had for dinner:  coffee, beef, bread, syrup, and dried peas, stewed.  I have had many a poorer meal.  I wish you could see me mix bread for supper.  I put my hands in to mix it and it would not let go.  I thought I should have to put my hands in the oven and let it bake on them, but I succeeded in getting loose after a while.
 
Well I was going to tell you how they live out here.  Every man that comes to Kern county thinks he is going to get rich the first year, so is as saving as he can be.  I don't like to find fault with my grub, but as true as you live I have been out to work and took my dinner with me and had but three biscuits and a tea cup two-thirds full of beans for two of us.  Now this is what I call ----, but I will say no more about it for I presume I shall live as poor as that myself for I am bound to have a farm before next spring if my life and health are spared me.  I do not like it any too well out here, but I think I can do pretty well if I am steady.  I don't find many men but what get on a spree once in a while around here.
 
I shall never forget my friends in Yaleville. I may never see them again, some I know I shall not, for you wrote me of some that had left this world.
 
I am sorry to hear that sickness and death have been so busy among my old friends, but we have all got to go, and sometimes I think what is the use working and thinking more of money than anything else.
 
I commenced haying the 15th of April.  The piece I cut is big enough to cut again,  it is Alfalfa, it looks very much like clover and grows very fast.  They can cut it every six weeks.  Most every one is haying around here now.  If you were here I could talk all night, and I guess it will take you all night to pick this out.
 
Elisha Pierce,
Bakersfield, Cal.

No comments:

Post a Comment