Friday, July 22, 2016

Messages from early BHS graduating class members - 1926

The Alumni
"The Echo" 1926
 
Mrs. H.W. Dickinson (Anna Maria Juliand) - Class of 1878 (first graduating class)
The first graduating class of the Bainbridge High School sends greetings to the Senior class of 1926.  With all the advantages you have for an education over those earlier days--modern languages domestic Art, and many other studies, I wonder if any of you will go as far as the Valedictorian of that first class.  I refer to James L. Sill who was born in Bainbridge, and all the education he received was in Bainbridge High.  "Louie," as we called him, was the son of a poor physician.  He used to go barefoot in summer and perhaps did not always have enough to eat, but by his own efforts he rose to be captain in the Revenue Marine Service of the United States.  And when he died a few years ago, he was buried with military honors at Arlington.
 
Helen Jeanette (Campbell) Copley - Class of 1882
As a representative of the class of 1882,
I will willingly pen a few lines to you;
Although with a feeling of sadness because
May Gilbert and Fred Graves have gone home,
And we are left their loss to mourn.
 
When I realize that Anna, Alberto, and I
Are the only ones left, I heave a big sigh;
Anna, that dear old pal of mine,
Married Orin Sands, a Bainbridge boy.
 
A self-made man, Alberto Bennett is next on the list,
And when he left Bainbridge, by his friends he was missed;
I think he fulfilled the promise he gave and made a fine man,
Who is now a minister and will do good whenever he can.
 
And now my name is last on the list;
If left out, it might not be missed.
But, as I belong in the class, I can't pass myself by
So to say a few words about "yours truly" I'll try.
 
I cannot say that I have ever won fame or renown
But in this world of care and strife I have led a busy life;
And whatever in life to me shall betide,
I am thankful I will have my dear husband to walk by my side.
 
All Hail to Bainbridge High School
Good Old Alma Mater B.H.S.
May honors come to you, success crown you and Heaven bless you;
My dear Old Alma Mater B.H.S.
 
Elizabeth Corbin Lewis--Class of 1887
There is an old story told of a meeting where only two men were present--one of whom took it upon himself to write up the affair for the paper.  He started in by saying, "There was a large and respectable audience present"--whereupon the other protested that the statement was untrue--"Why," said the writer, "are you not large, and am I not respectable?"  The class of 1887 was composed of two girls,--Millie Cannon, one of the brightest and best ever graduated from B.H.S., and your humble servant.
 
Shirley E. Stewart--Class of 1915
There were six members in the class of 1915--Indra Brant, Gladys L. Cushman, Helen C. Steward, Ernest R. Quackenbush, George R. Aylesworth and myself--a large class.  Anyway it seemed so then.  I suppose we were just like every other class that ever graduated.  Some of us had rather definite ideas about our future work and others did not.  But everyone has found something to do. We are scattered now in the four directions, and in four different states. We are almost lost in the wide, wide world.  However, we shall still remember B.H.S. as our starting point.
 
Thelma Taylor--Class of 1923
As Mother Goose waddled down the street, she heaved a great sigh.  She was thinking of her goslings of 1923, and how they had left her.  She was proud of them though, and thought what fine models they would make for the little geese of 1926.
 
Elliot Danforth is attending Colgate university, and Burritt Haddow, St. Lawrence University.  Frances Cooper and Marie Gunther went to Oneonta Normal and are now teaching at Stevensville and Vallonia Springs respectively.  Dorotha White is with the 1900 Washer Company in Binghamton; our dear classmate, Vivien Walker left us in the summer of 1924; Ruth Hollenbeck is attending Syracuse University and Frances Kentfield is at Albany State College. Frieda Friedel graduated from Crouse-Irving Hospital a year ago.  Thelma Taylor attended Lowell's Business School, and is now working in the first National Bank, and Owena Crumb is attending Oxford University.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment