Friday, December 26, 2014

Soldier News continued, 1946

Cpl. Lewis Delello Visits Grave of Richard Parsons
Bainbridge News & Republican, June 6, 1946
 
A few weeks ago, Mrs. Richard Parsons received word from the War Department that her husband, S/Sgt. Richard Parsons, who was killed over Germany Sept. 27, 1944, while serving as a tail gunner, was buried in a little town in Germany by the name of Gerstungen.  Mrs. Parsons was very anxious to find the name of one of our local boys who was now stationed in that area, so he might visit her husband's grave.  Even though Bainbridge has very few men now in Germany, it was found that Cpl. Lewis J. Delello was stationed at Frankfurt, about 100 miles from Gerstungen.  Mrs. Parsons wrote to him at once, enclosing a money order for his expenses, asking him to visit Dick's grave when it was convenient.  Within a few days, she received the following reply from her letter:
 
Dear Mrs. Parsons,
Did you receive my letter returning your money order?  In my first letter I wrote that I wouldn't be able to go until the week-end but today was V-E Day, and as I didn't have to work, 1st Sergeant Hammond "big dealed" the C.O.'s jeep and at 8 o'clock this morning we headed for Gerstungen.  It was 100 miles from Frankfurt.  We got there at noon and just outside the outskirts of the town the American Zone ended and the Russian Zone started.  our boys at the post said that the Russians wouldn't let us into their zone, so we went back 20 miles to Hersfeld and saw the American Russian Liaison Officer and told him the situation. We couldn't get a pass but they let us take a G.I. with us who could speak Russian and we headed back.  We got through the American Post and 500 yards farther the Russians stopped us, but our American G.I. (who could speak Russian) talked with them and they let us through.  They (the Russians) were all drunk.  Anyway we went on into town.  Our G.I. friend knew a Russian Lieutenant pretty well so we went to him quickly before we were picked up for not having a pass.  We showed him your letter and our G.I. friend read it to him.  With the Russian lieutenant, and two German kids, who said they knew where the graves were, we finally found a small cemetery kept up nicely by the German civilians and in it were the graves of Dick and six others.  Here is what as inscribed on the cross:
 
Dropped American Fliers
(This was in German)
(The names were in English in this order)
 
                                                                   Parsons, Richard
                                                                   Durr, John
                                                                   Johnston, Robert
                                                                   Schaen, James
                                                                   Johnson, Edward
                                                                   Smith, D.P.
                                                                   Hurth, Brian
 
If you have the addresses of the families of these six other boys, you can either send them the information or have them get in touch with me, because I saw this today and would certainly like to help the next of kin of these fellows.
 
I took some pictures of the grave for you and they will be ready next Wednesday and I'll send them to you right away because I know how much this will mean to you.  I hope they turn out O.K.
 
The grave had pansies and tulips and was quite nice.  The cemetery had some beautiful trees, and the River Main flows right by it.  I thought it was O.K.  They were the only Americans there as far as I could see.   There was no sign on the cemetery, but the German kid found the grave for us.  I couldn't get any flowers around there, especially after we were "sweating it out" in the Russian Zone without a pass, we were really worried.  I don't know what we would have done without the G.I. who got us into the Russian Zone and the German kid who found the grave for us.
 
There were no dog tags on the grave or serial numbers after the names.
 
I hope I have helped you but if I've missed something let me know and I'll try to answer.
 
I really did see the grave and it is being kept up by the civilians.  I thought it was quite a nice grave and a nice quiet little town.
 
Sincerely Tony.
 
Mrs. Parsons has already received the pictures which are excellent.  All the names of the cross of the grave are very clear, as well as the pansies and other flowers.  Also in the pictures are the Russian Officer, the G.I. Joe, 1st Sgt. Hammon and Tony.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment