Saturday, February 1, 2014

Miscellaneous, Legends of Our Valley, Part 2

Legends of Our Valley - Part 2
Chenango Union, Feb. 21, 1884
 
It was not an unpleasant task for the silvery-haired old gentleman to recount the "hair-breadth 'scapen" of his youth, and being assured of eager listeners he proceeded to tell us of a chestnutting exploit in which he gathered more than chestnuts.
 
"We strolled away through the woods, my brother and I," he said, "when we came to a tree which was so high that we could not climb it; there were no lower limbs, you see, but the top was just loaded with burs [fruit of the tree which contains the chestnuts].  'Let's have them' said my brother.  'Agreed' said I; so we chopped down the tree and what do you think we found snugly laid away in a hollow knot a great ways from the ground!  The prettiest little 'painter' you ever did see."  [note:  "painter" was a term used for panther or cougar (mountain lion)]

"We did not think any more about the chestnuts, but started for home with our prize.  We got there before dark, and it was well we did.  there was not much sleep in that house that night, I can tell you.  The old mother painter tracked us home, and the way she howled and yelled around the house that night was enough to make your blood run cold."

"What if she had overtaken you before you reached home!" asked one.

"Probably I wouldn't have been here to tell you this story," said the old gentleman, shaking his head.

"Our folks din't think much of our pet, I can tell you, and we had to put it out of the way; but the woods were full of bears and wolves and all sorts of wild beasts.  When Uncle Joe came into the country--he lived close by Richmond's pond, you know--the wolves were so thick that it was not safe for women to go through the woods alone.  His wife and her sister had been away for an afternoon visit, riding double on a fine black horse, when Mrs. R. heard something following her through the woods.  She knew her sister was a coward, so she said coolly;  'Let's have a race,' and the horse went bounding through the wood while she plied the lash.  'What on earth are you about!' said the girl, as they came out into the clearing which lay about their home, 'I had all I could do to keep my seat.'  'Look there,' said Mrs. R., turning to the wood where a great black wolf stood hungrily eyeing them.  'I knew if I told you that creature was after us, you would have fallen off; so I took the only safe course and run my horse, and here we are, Thank God, safe and sound."
 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment