Thursday, October 2, 2014

Soldier News continued - 1943

Mary Morgan Enlists in Marines
Bainbridge News & Republican, June 24, 1943

Miss Mary Elizabeth Morgan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Morgan, of Afton [Chenango Co., NY], believed to be the first young lady from that territory to enlist in the Marines, entered Hunter's College in New York City on June 1 to begin her basic training.  Miss Morgan graduated from the Afton High School in 1938 and from St. Petersburg Junior College in 1940. 
 
Clinton Wilcox Promoted
Bainbridge News & Republican, June 24, 1943
 
Clinton S. Wilcox, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert C. Wilcox, of Bainbridge [Chenango Co., NY], today was wearing the stripes of a Technician 5th Grade, after his promotion at the New Orleans Army Air Base.  His promotion was by order of Colonel J.H. Houghton, commander of the southern air field, where Air Corps, Signal, Quarter-master, and Military Police units are being trained for combat service  The order cited that the soldier "has proved able to perform technical duties, is attentive to duty and has demonstrated soldierly qualities."  His organization is a part of the Air Service Command, headed by Major General Walter  H. Frank, and charged with the supply, servicing and maintenance of the Army Air Forces throughout the world.  Corporal Wilcox is a graduate of the Bainbridge Central High School and the R.C.A. Institute in New York City.  Before his enlistment in the Army, he was a radio mechanic at Patterson Field, Ohio. 
 
Letter from Pvt. Robert Kingsley
Bainbridge News & Republican, July 1, 1943
 
North Africa
May 24, 1943
Dear Mom and Dad:
I received your letter and was very glad to hear from home.  A lot of things have happened in the year's time I've been away.  The first of December I landed in Africa and since then I have been fighting at the front.  The things I've seen aren't very pleasant, but I suppose that goes with war.  I've had all the war I want.  When they start shooting at you they really mean business.  Two bullets came so close to my face that they left powder burns, another one nicked my leg, but it is all right now.  I've been close enough to the Gerrys (Germans) to know what they look like.
 
All during the fighting the First Division never backed up, although the Gerrys certainly put up a good fight.  I've been in a number of battles and from one minute to the next we didn't know what was going to happen.  I can tell you I was pretty scared but I guess we all were.  They say war is hell and they aren't lying a bit.
 
I am well and am resting.  I would like to see you all.  Maybe I will soon.  Until then take care of yourselves.
Your loving son,
Pvt. Robert Kingsley
 
Isabelle Smith to Serve as Army Nurse
Bainbridge News & Republican, July 1, 1943
 
Miss Isabelle Smith, R.N., of St. Luke's Hospital, New York city, has been a guest of her aunt, Miss Kittie M. Ellis, and of her sister, Miss Vera Jean Smith.  Miss Smith will leave soon for McCaw General Hospital at Walla Walla, Wash., having enlisted in the Army Nurses Corps with the rank of Second lieutenant.  Miss Smith is a graduate of Afton High School and St. Luke's Hospital; since completing her training she has remained on the staff as supervisor of the Orthopedic Ward.  Her two brothers, Sgt. Leland Smith and P.F.C. Lynn Smith, are serving with the A.E.F., in North Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment