Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Lester Hutchinson Letters - WWI Soldier - 1918

Norwich Sun, July 16, 1918

The following letter was lately received by Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Hutchinson from their son Lieutenant Hutchinson, who went across in May.

American Expeditionary Forces
Y.M.C.A. Headquarters
2 Rue Daguessean Paris
June 23rd, 1918

Dear Mother and Dad,
I have a little time this morning, so I am just writing to let you know that I am well as usual.  I find plenty to do most of the time and have plenty to eat, so that I am as happy as I can be.

We have had very fine weather nights and beautiful days.  Many parts of France that we have seen show some of the horrors of war.  You see indications of it everywhere in the number of women at work in the fields and other places.  The fields are fine it seems as if nearly every acre is under cultivation.  They also raise beets.  I have eaten the sugar which is rather coarse and not very sweet, but answers the purpose. We are fed pretty well over here; of course we do not get the delicacies, but out in this rough life we do not need them. This life and frosted cake do not go together. 
 
We are busy during the day working, drilling and getting ready for the time when we shall be moved up into the big fight. We do not know when that time will come, but we can form some idea. I think for the most part the men are all anxious and willing, but we will not know until the test comes.
 
I have been to church this morning and I guess it did me good.  We have a Methodist chaplain with our battalion, so that I feel quite at home when I go to church.  How are all the folks?  I wish you would give my love to all the family.  I would like to write to everyone, but it is awfully hard to find anything to say except that I am well.  I think of you all every day and you know the old saying "No news is good news."  Write often and tell me all the news.  Love to all.  Lester
__________________________________
 
Norwich Sun, August 14, 1918
 
The following letters dated July 3d and July 14th are from Lieutenant Lester Hutchinson, who is with the American army "over there," to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Hutchinson of Guilford:
 
July 3, 1918
Dear mother and dad,
Have a little time while I am waiting for a truck to take me back to my company.  I have been to a gas school for a week and I am just going back.  On this trip I have had an opportunity to see Paris. There are many beautiful sights to see, but I was traveling under orders and of course did not have very much time.  Although I did see some of the important things.  You see American soldiers everywhere now over here.  It seems almost like being in America.  A number of the boys have been up in the line and have had some service.  I don't know when we will go up, but I guess it won't be long anymore.  Tomorrow is the fourth of July--it doesn't seem possible!  In the larger towns they have some kind of a celebration, but I don't suppose we will have much of  a time where we are now.
 
Well, I am well, and that of course is everything.  Give my love to everyone who inquires and answer soon.  I have not received a letter of any kind from anyone yet.  With love to you and dad,  Lester.
 
Sunday, July 14th, 1918
Dear mother and dad,
Another week has rolled around, but time sure does go fast.  Think of it, almost fall again!  I guess it is because I am so busy and do not have time to think of  anything but work.  I told you I had been to a gas school and now I am giving lectures to the men in the battalion.  It is interesting work and I enjoy it, because I feel I am doing something to save lives. This gas is an awful thing and it is killing thousands of our boys.  But mother, this is only one of the many horrors.  I wish I could tell you about them.  I am studying all the time so that I can take care of myself and my men to a better advantage.  It is strange how close men get to each other, when they are put away from everything they have been used to.  It seems as if we are set apart from the rest of the world over here; every man feels that he has a big job to do and is anxious to do it, so that he may get back again, and almost always the men are anxious to learn and do things.  I believe every man will look at life a bit different to what he did before he came.
 
We are well fed.  Uncle Sam certainly looks after his men.  There are all kinds of Y.MC.A. and canteens where men can buy tobacco and candy and little sweet things which seem to taste so good when you are living out of doors all the time. We have had a few showers the last two days--about the only rain I have seen since I have been in France.
 
The natives are busy now with their harvest--most of the hay is cut and the wheat is nearly ripe, and you should see the wheat!  It is a wonderful crop over here this year.  I  never saw such grain in America.  Much of the work is done by the women, old women all bent over out in the fields at work from early morning until late at night.  You know it does not get dark over here until after ten o'clock at night and daylight in the morning at three-thirty.  Well, mother, I guess I must close.  I am well and feeling fine, so do not worry about me one bit.  Write when you can and give my love to the folks.
Your loving son, Lester
_______________________________________________
 
Norwich Sun, September 14, 1918
 
In a letter written of August 27th to Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Hutchinson, their son, Lieut. Lester Hutchinson states that he is now back of the lines again after having served his first term of fighting on the "firing line."  Lieut. Hutchinson was himself unhurt, but says that no one can realize until you are there, what it means to see your companions falling as far as you can see all around you.  Lieut. Hutchinson spent a night in a dugout under what had been a house, with bombs bursting every so often overhead.
________________________________________________________________________
 
Hutchinson - Heil
Norwich Sun, August 15, 1917
 
Guilford [Chenango Co., NY]:  Miss Anna Ethel Heil, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Heil of Easton, Pa., and Lester Hutchinson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Hutchinson of Guilford [Chenango Co., NY] were quietly married at 11 o'clock on Saturday morning at the parsonage of the First M.E. church by the Rev. W.H. Ford.  Immediately after the ceremony, Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson left for New York, where they will remain until Monday, when they will take the trip up the Hudson and around the Great Lakes and then to Guilford. They will be away two weeks. Both the young people are well known in Easton and have many friends who wish them greatest joy.
 
The bride is a graduate of the Easton high school class of 1906, and for a number of years has been head bookkeeper for the H.G. Trombles grocery company.  Mr. Hutchinson, has lived in Easton for about 14 years being employed as local representative of the James Bach Electrical Supply company of Philadelphia.  At present Mr. Hutchinson is with the Phillipsburg plant of the Ingersoll-Rand company. Recently Mr. Hutchinson took an examination for the Officers' Reserve Corps and is now waiting to be call to the colors. --Saturday's edition of the Easton Free Press
 
The above will be especially interesting to Guilford people who have known Mr. Hutchinson all his life.  The community join with the Easton friends in congratulating Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson and in wishing them much happiness.
_______________________________________________________________
 
Death  Notice
Norwich Sun, May 7, 1929
Guilford:  With deep sorrow, news was received in this place Saturday morning by cablegram from the Panama that Lester Hutchinson, a Guilford young man who was working there had answered the heavenly summons Friday, May 3, aged 40 years.
 
Obituary
Norwich Sun,  May 14, 1929
The remains of Lester Amos Hutchinson, whose death was briefly mentioned last week, will be brought here from the Canal Zone for burial May 22. The funeral services will be held from the late home on Winsor avenue at 2 o'clock.  Mr. Hutchinson was the son of Emmett and Emily A. Hutchinson.  He was born in Yaleville, town of Guilford January 30, 1889 and was married in Easton, Pa., on August 11, 1917 to Miss Ann Heil Hall. They have one son, John Emmett.  Mr. Hutchinson was employed by the United States Government, as foreman on the Canal Zone being located at Pedro Miguel.  He acted as First lieutenant in the world War, serving overseas eighteen months, he was a member of the Masonic lodge and a 32nd degree mason.  Those who survive are his wife and son, his mother, one brother, Howard; all of Guilford, and a sister, Mrs. Anna Reynolds of Mount Vision.  Interment will be made in Yaleville [Guilford, NY].
 
 

 
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment