Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Letter from the 114th NY Infantry - October 1864

Letter from the 114th New York Infantry
Chenango American, November 10, 1864

Middletown, Va.
Oct. 21, 1864
We have had another great battle and another victory greater than both the others.  On the 19th, before daylight, the enemy attacked the 8th corps on our left--they came on them both front and rear having previously captured the pickets.  So sudden was the attack and the fact of the enemy being on the flank and rear, induced the said corps to give way with hardly any resistance. The 2d Division 19th corps; and 2d Brigade of our Division, were driven back and our right double quickened up on a knowl where we received a withering fire from front and rear and flank.  We lost some 13 killed and 60 or 70 wounded on this line, where we finally gave way; the enemy were within 20 rods of us and nearly in our rear.  I dodged behind a stone chimney to give them a few parting rounds, but I staid too long and was surrounded and taken prisoner.  I was hurried to the rear and marched with a squad of about 20, across Cedar Creek and joined a large body of our men (prisoners).  I found several of our Regiment--Capt. Underhill, Lieut. Thompson, and 10 or 12 men, none of Co. E.  On the way here the Rebels took my boots and hat, giving in exchange some worn out articles.  One of the guards rifled my pocket book, but there was nothing of consequence in it; some 40 cents in specie, five or six stamps, my steel pens, thread, needles, &c.

We lay here until nearly sundown, squads of our men continually coming in, until they had about 2000 of us.

The Rebels drove our men to Newtown some six miles, when Gen. Sheridan arrived, he having killed his splendid black horse riding from Winchester. The boys said he rode among them swinging his hat and very quickly brought order out of confusion, formed the lines and charged the Rebels.

We prisoners kept our ears wide open and several times thought the cannonading grew nearer. About an hour before sundown the stream of Rebel stragglers were coming back and about sundown we took up the line of march. Before we reached Strasburg, we looked back and could see the Rebel line of battle on the retreat. We were doubled quicked and the enemy's wagons, ambulances, some captured artillery and lots of stragglers, formed a gay sight (to us) hurrying to the rear. Visions of hard marches, Libby or Linchburg prisons, starvation, &c stared me in the face, and I determined to escape or get shot in the attempt.  Just as we got to the bridge near Fisher's Hill I slipped through the guard unperceived and joined some stragglers who were starting to cross the creek above the bridge.  My Reb. Hat and rubber blanket which I had slung over my shoulder Reb style, deceived them and I passed for a genuine Reb.  I hid along in the bushes laying low when anyone came along until I gained the woods about one mile from the road; I marched till about midnight and laid down and slept till daylight; the night was cool but I picked up a woolen blanket on the battle field and so kept pretty comfortable.  yesterday I marched most all day making a detour of nearly 20 miles to avoid the enemy, and finally reached the 6th corps pickets about dark.  I came to our old camp and staid last night and this morning our Regiment came back--they had been to Strasburg.  I was some glad to get back to old Co. E, for I know something about the fare our prisoners got, having been there before.

Sergt. Wm. W. Johnston and Wm. A. Fuller were killed, and Corps. Andrews, Geo. Fitch, Jas. Dennis, Theo. Cables, Chas. Pittsley and Sergt, Kendall, wounded; the last four slightly, Fitch received a flesh wound in thigh and is not dangerously wounded.  I had my cheek grazed by a ball which was the closest call I received.

The cavalry have pursued the enemy beyond Woodstock and are capturing them by thousands; there are 56 pieces of artillery out by Sheridan's headquarters in a line, and the cavalry today brought in 9 battle flags and 4500 prisoners. The enemy at first got about 20 pieces of cannon and quite a number of our wagons and ambulances.  Also a large quantity of tents, camp utensils, clothing, &c,but I hear the cavalry have taken the prisoners and wagons, &C, back.  Considerable of the artillery captured was new and just from Richmond.  If Jeff Davis has any more cannon to spare I hope he will send it to us.

John C. Stoughton
__________________________________________

From Adjutant General's Report - 114th NY Infantry
STOUGHTON, JOHN C.:  Age, 21 years. Enrolled, August 11, 1862 at Greene, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. E, August 13, 1862; promoted corporal, September 3, 1862; sergeant, February 1, 1863; captured in action, June 13, 1863, at Port Hudson, La.; recaptured with fort, no date; promoted first sergeant, October 19, 1864; wounded and captured in action, same date, at Cedar Creek, Va.; escaped, October 20, 1864; mustered in as first lieutenant, March 2, 1865; mustered out with company, June 8, 1865, at Washington, D.C.  Commissioned first lieutenant, March 23, 1865, with rank from march 2, 1865

No comments:

Post a Comment