Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The Green, NY Affair -1845 - Part 6

The Greene Affair

In Justices' Court, Before E.C. Kattel, Esq.

Binghamton Courier, December 17, 1845


The People vs. John Johnson, Examination of Witnesses, Nov. 20 [1845]


Cross Examination of Ann Augusta Burdick

I have been married about 3 months, I have been staying at Utica last before I came here, can't tell when I went there, do not know who carried me, was there three weeks I believe, I was under Dr. Brigham's charge, do not know what day I got there, they told me it was Friday, I knew I was there on Monday after I got there.  Did not go to housekeeping immediately after I was married; but lived at my mother's, have not kept house at all, went from mother's to Mrs. Hammond's to live, boarded there with my husband, I have been sworn twice before in this matter, do not know who I was sworn before the first time, it was a person I am not acquainted with, cannot tell whether they had ink and paper or not, Mr. Burdick was present, not anyone else that I knew that I remember of.  I do not know where it was. The house where my mother lived is not a great way from Hammond's, Mr. Virrell is the nearest neighbor on the other side.

I do not recollect who I was sworn before the second time, do not recollect where I was, nor whether it was in writing or not, there was something written on paper the first or second time, and Dr. Purple read it over to me.  Mr. Burdick was present.  It was a brown bag that Johnson had at the time I have spoken of, did not notice how it was marked, nor whether it was an old one or a new one, it was nearly half full, can't say whether it was a common made bag or not, two of the children, a little girl and boy lived at my mother's when I lived there after I was married, Sarah, is 7 and Augustus 8 years old, they were at Mr. Virrill's.  I tried to get the paper when I was lying in the water.  Could not say how far it was from me.  There was a difference in the size of the men, one of them a tall slim man, the other short and thicker, the tallest one had the knife, can't say which brought the big log, don't remember what was the last thing I said to them.

Johnson did not fasten the doors up when he tied me up, do not remember the time of the year, whether it was spring, summer or fall, there was no snow upon the ground, do not remember much about the fire.  I do not remember whether the windows were open or shut, can't tell how long Johnson staid there the first time he came there that day, can't say whether it was more than an hour or not, he went out of the house once and came in again, the fire was in the kitchen that day, Mr. Johnson took the axes and gave me one, one was a new one and one old one, I cannot tell how long Johnson staid, whether it was as much as three hours or not, it was a short time after my husband went out when Johnson tied me, say about twenty minutes. The bones I saw, as near as I can remember were black, not so black as the ink stand, but a kind of dark purple, can't tell how many bones I saw, I saw more than two, I believe it was the lower part of the head I saw, cannot tell how long the bones were, can't tell how long he had the bones on the fire, can't tell whether it was three hours or five minutes.

The children came home that day about 4 o'clock.  The bed I saw Mr. Johnson and mother on stands in the northeast corner of the room, it is not a great ways from the door, but on the other side of the room.  When they put the gag in my mouth and blinded me the last time, I laid on the ground near the stream, don't know how far the men brought the logs.  Do not know how large these bones were nor whether there were bunches or joints on them, nor whether they were so long as a man's arm, cannot tell how fine he pounded them.  Johnson said he brought them there to burn because he did not know what else to do with them.  I had dinner alone that day, did not cook a dinner or have tea, or anything prepared over a fire.  These bones looked white when they came off from the fire, he swept up the hearth, I believe; did not notice any queer appearance on the hearth, stain or dust.

I cannot tell which of the men said they hoped Johnson would pass through the village.  the knife was a dirk knife, 7 or 8 inches long, one side of the handle was white, the other side striped.  I lay on the ground when I first saw the knife.  I do not remember what the last thing was the men said to me before they left me.  I do not think the paper had any writing; I can read writing, but the paper was not held so I could see writing in particular.
Question:  Do you remember what you swore to the first item?
Answer:  I do not feel able to answer now.  I am faint; I do not feel able to go on.

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment