Saturday, December 19, 2020

Civil War Letter from Capt. Lawrence Mersereau - September 1861

 Union News, Broome County, New York, October 10, 1861

Headquarters, 43d Regt. Co. H. Camp Union, Sept. 1861

Capt. Lawrence Mersereau--Respected father:  I suspect you will be astonished to learn from this letter that I am at the seat of war.  You will see from the top of paper following that I had very short notice of my departure from New York.  

State of New York, Dept. of Volunteers, New York, Sept. 10, 1861

Special Orders No.   210:  Special Orders No. 208 are hereby modified by designating John C. Mersereau as First Lieutenant of Company H in place of Francis Turner, rendered.  [portion unreadable]  By order of Charles Yates, Brig Gen Commanding N.Y. Depot, Thomas Hillock, A.D.C.

Well, father, I received this order on the 19th, 5 p.m., with orders to go forthwith to camp at "Ricker's Island," 14 miles out of New York, and report on Mon. at N.Y. the next day ready for marching to Washington by 6 p.m., train the 20th inst.,  So you see father, I had not time to spare.  I immediately ordered a steamboat and started for the camp, and arrived in N.Y. too late for 20th, but got off at 5 a.m. on the 21st and arrived in Washington on Sunday morning following and went into camp at "Meridian Hill," two miles West of Washington and remained there until Friday last at 2 o'clock p.m. when we received special orders to move into Virginia in company with six Regiments and have our tents all loaded &C, &C. and be ready to march at 5 a.m. which I can assure you was done all in time. We had 6,000 men and 120 luggage wagons, all on a move for the celebrated "Chain Bridge," and reached it at 6-1/2 p.m., and crossed into Virginia and encamped as above. 

Here we are in sight of the enemy, with the pickets within fifty yards of our lines.  Half of our Regiment was ordered out on skirmish duty yesterday afternoon and had a quiet little skirmish and took three "prisoners;"  we lost no men.  One of the other Regiments lost five men, the Cavalry lost four and two wounded and two horses shot.  We are all ordered out tomorrow morning with 20 rounds of cartridges. We are all going to bed tonight with our guns in our hands. We are expecting a big fight and probably a great slaughter on both sides.  There is 30,000 U.S. troops in sight of us now in camp.  Here it looks like a city in the evening.  The hills of Virginia are nothing but one continued camp of U.S. Troops.  Father, I never saw such a sight in the world.  It certainly is astonishing to know where they all come from, to see them in lots of 1,000 and tens of thousands from every State North and they all hail us as brothers in one common cause of "Liberty" or "death," which I can assure you is "the password." It is liberty or Death, and there is no such word as fail with such men to fight as the North have sent.  And with the cause of liberty and resources as endless as the U.S. Purse, there is no such thing as a failure.  No father, I have more confidence today in the success of the U.S. cause than ever,  and father, there will be no more Bull Run fights.  I must bid you good-by and God-bless you.  If I live, I will write you again.  Give my love to all inquiring friends.

J.S. Mersereau, Lieut. Co. H. 138 Regt N.Y.S.V.

Answer from Lawrence Mersereau

Union, Oct. 2d, 1861

My Dear Son:  I have just received your letter dated Camp Vinton, somewhat surprised to learn that you had entered the army, but I can't say that I regret that you have done so.  Since the Government has been assailed by armed traitors, it must be sustained at every cost.  I hope and expect that as you have entered the service, you will remember what our family suffered to establish this Government and imitate that example of your Grandfather in the struggle of the Revolution.  I am happy to learn that you have a spot of honor, as well as responsibility, and that you seem to feel the responsibility of your position.

The friends here are all well, and will feel an interest in your safety there.  Write as often as you can.

I will write more next time, as I am now in a hurry,

Your father, L. Mersereau.


No comments:

Post a Comment