Saturday, December 12, 2020

Civil War - Letter from Charles Van Dusen - July 1861

 Union News, Broome County, New York, August 1, 1861

Washington, July 24th, 1861

Dear Mother:  I am again permitted thru the kind hand of Providence to let you know where I am.  We have just returned from the battlefield of Bull's Run.  After a march of fifty-six miles we are again at our old barracks on Franklin Square.  It is not known at present how many are killed and wounded in our Regiment, as they keep coming in one by one every day.  It is thought about 800.  Others lost more.  It was awful to hear the cries of the wounded as we rushed over them.  At the first volley when we reached the field two boys were shot down by my side, one had his leg shot off by a cannon ball, the other shot through the temple.  I saw Will Tyrrell at Fairfax Court House.  He belongs to the same Brigade that I do.  I do not know but he was shot, as a great many of them were.  Some of our boys were taken prisoners, but I suppose they are killed now, as the rebels show no mercy to anyone.  Our surgeon had some of the wounded and had dressed their wounds and he went back to help some others, and when he came back he found their throats cut.  But my pen refuses to describe such scenes. We captured twelve of the rebels and took them to our camp at Centreville.  They said Jeff Davis told them to spare no one.  Beauregard was on the field and had a horse shot from under him.

I do not know when we shall be ordered back to Virginia, but I think not in two or three weeks.  The Ladies of Washington are preparing a supper for our soldiers, which will come good I tell you.  Tell Mackey and Marty and all the rest that I think of them often and would be very glad to see them, but it is impossible now.  I received Hattie's letter, and was glad to hear from home.  I must close now for it is late and I am sentinel tonight.  Give love to all inquiring friends. Write soon and direct as before.  I must bid you good night.

From your affectionate son.  Charles Van Dusen

No comments:

Post a Comment