Sunday, December 27, 2020

Civil War Letter - October 1861

 Union News, Broome County, New York, October 17, 1861

Camp Dickinson, Near Fort Lyon, Alexandria, Va. Oct. 6, 1861

Friend B.:  I have another spare moment and will improve it by dropping a line to you.  We had a visit yesterday from a couple of your townsmen, Serg't Milton C. Cafferty and Mr. Elisha B. Ralyea, who informed me he had enlisted in the same company with Mr. Cafferty (one of the Lincoln Cavalry) as a farrier.  It did me good to see Elisha's familiar face down here in Virginia, and I almost fancied I was home again.  It was about 12 o'clock and I invited them to dinner and soon had my table spread in front of my tent (that is, we have a rough board nailed to the top of a couple of stakes which served as table) and we stood up to partake of a soldier's meal.  Our board was not very clean (as water at present is scarce), but judging from the quantity of provisions that soon vanished from sight, I think we all did justice to the meal.  Mr. Ralyea was the bearer of quite a number of letters and packages for the Union boys from friends at home, and made a few light hearts at least.  Shortly after dinner, they returned, however not without promising us another visit soon.

As the wire workers are flocking to Washington (though but few have yet crossed the Potomac) either to court favor for themselves or friends in the coming elections, a word or two from your friend, Blockhead, on the subject may or may not be out of place.

It seems (judging from what I hear from various sources) that the Democratic party of your State is divided into three distinct classes.  First, those who use all the means and influence they can command in sustaining the president and Cabinet.  Second, a class that have pretended peace proclivities and the third the out and out "secesh."  Now as to the first class (among whom I see many familiar and distinguished names) they should be given the reserved seats, as they have already declared by their acts that they belong to the only [-?-] party (that is the Union party).  All old names should be forgotten, and a ticket selected from among Union men, whatever name they formerly bore, and such a ticket should be sustained by every Union man.  One man that I shall support will be Daniel S. Dickinson. 

Now, as to the second class, the peace croakers, they cannot expect much [-?-] at my hands.  Men who, as a class, put on a long face, and talk of the sacrifice of human life, and all that sort of thing, when they hear of our success.  In severe cases, I'd apply the [-?-] of the vegetable vulgarly known as hemp, while for milder cases perhaps a liberal application of tar and feathers would check the disease.

I would suggest that a black list be made in every Township and the names of the men who come under either of the last two classes be therein registered for future use, and never (during their natural lives) permit them to hold any office in the gift of the people.

Keep secession out of power and it will die of old age in its youth.  My sheet is full and I'll stop for the present.   Blockhead.


No comments:

Post a Comment