Thursday, May 20, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War - July 1861 - First Battle of Bull Run

 Chenango American, Greene, NY, August 8, 1861

Letter from George L. Smith, 1st Regiment, Minnesota Volunteers

Washington, July 23, 1861

Dear Brother:  Fearing that you might hear a report of my being killed in the disastrous action of the 21st, I take this method of informing you and other friends that I am alive, and by the intervention of Providence, untouched.  I have  experienced a new sensation lately, that of hearing the rush of shot and shell, and of seeing friends and companions in arms falling by my side in the cold embrace of a glorious death. We were driven, routed, but not until the ground was covered with the slain. We are not disheartened. We hope to regain and will regain our position, or die in the attempt.  I can give no certain account of our loss, as we retired in disorder.  Probably 100 killed outright and 250 wounded in this Regiment alone.  Our wounded will, I fear be killed at last.  I have heard that the house used as a hospital was burned and all killed.  the enemy were in a strong force, and after the charge was made they retreated to a strong position where they had batteries which could not be seen until they opened fire, and then only by the smoke. We were rushed up in disorder to a masked battery, with a large number of the enemy in a concealed trench. We discovered them before they fired, but our officers refused to let us fire, because they said they were friends, but they fired, and many a gallant heart ceased beating. We dropped on the ground and fired, reloaded and fired, formed as well as we were able and fired, and kept firing. We were repulsed and returned again, again separated and again rallied on our colors, which we brought with us from the field.

In our Company C, the color Co., we lost about 25 killed, our Captain wounded, 2d Lieut. [ditto], 3 Sergeants killed or missing, and some 6 others slightly scratched.  I was loading the 5th time, when a ball passed between my fingers, taking my ramrod from my hand, leaving me with a useless gun until I could pick up another ramrod. I got one, but it was too large at the large end, and I had to load with the small end.  Well, I gave them 14 rounds, and then left with a mixed crowd of Fire Zouaves, Minnesota and Massachusetts troops, Garabaldi Guards and U.S. regulars.

They killed our wounded on the field, and we understand that they killed all in our hospitals.  They were in strong force, and were reinforced by 10,000 men, just as we were marched on to them.  

Please write, and send papers, and have others do do, for we are much pleased to get them in camp.  Direct to Co. C, 1st Regiment Minnesota Volunteers, Washington, D.C.

Yours, &C, Geo. L. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment