Friday, May 21, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War - July 1861, First Battle of Bull Run

 Chenango Telegraph, Norwich, NY, August 8, 1861

Letter from Charles  N. Elliott, 27th NY Infantry

Camp Anderson, Washington, July 27, 1861

Dear Friend James, Yours of the 24th was duly received and perused with pleasure.  You stated that you was feeling discouraged on account of the defeat of our forces on Sunday last, near Manassas, and you state that we lost some 3000 men.  This is not so, for according to the last report, we only lost some 1300 in killed, missing and wounded.  It is true we lost some arms in the action, but they have been recovered since, and the ammunition lost was rendered useless by the rain. there are 91 missing and killing in my Regiment.

The 27th Union Regiment was one of the first to take part in the battle.  We were on the field from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. doing our part I will assure you.  Although we were very tired when we got there having made a march of some fifteen miles without any rest, and going some of the way in double quick time, we were ordered to take the right of the batteries. To get there we were exposed to a galling fire from the enemy's batteries, throwing shell and balls through our ranks at a great rate. For the first introduction, one ball from a cannon passed so close to my head that it staggered me.

After we gained the right of the batteries, we advanced on them and met a body of them in a hollow, secreted by a stone house and a piece of woods.  They had a battery on the hill.  They threw grape and shell at us, but we drove them from there about a mile.  Then they planted their batteries on a hill so they could play on us from three positions, and the men made another stand. They ran up the American colors and sent a man to us stating that they would lay down arms. We then advanced toward them, and when near them they fired on us, mowing our men down on all sides.  Of course we were all confusion, each man for himself, but we stood our ground, and they retreated again, but poured such a raking fire on us, and no Regiment coming to our relief, Col. Slocum ordered us to retreat.  In the meantime I had got ahead of the rest, and took my station behind a large tree which sheltered me from their fire.  I saw one of them stick his head around a hay cock.  I told him to come out or I would shoot him.  He did not comply, but said "don't shoot, don't shoot," but I had my gun to my eye, and when he showed his head I shot and took him in the head.  He jumped about two feet high, uttered an awful grown, then fell, the blood gushing from his head in a stream.  He was the poor sneak that said they would surrender.  He got his due.  I saw another off walking in the grass.  I shot him, and then I saw for the first time that the Regiment had left, so I turned and run to the best of my ability, and they poured a whole volley at me, putting three holes thro' my pants, and cutting off a part of the seat of my trousers as clean as if done with a pair of shears.  My gun was struck by a ball the stock part of it taken off and it was knocked clear from my hands, but I got another on the ground and brought it through with me.  Our haversacks, containing our food, were all thrown off at the commencement of the action.

Sometimes it would seem as if the day was ours, but about 4 P.M., orders came to retreat, and we started and did not rest until we reached Washington, a distance of 47 miles.  All I ate in the meantime was 4 crackers.  The worst of all was the leaving of the wounded at the mercy of the enemy, as they would come along and thrust a bayonet through them, and the house where we carried the wounded was blown up by the rebels.

I was among the wounded, where of all the sights one ever saw, that best all.  Lead me up to a masked battery, face to face with the enemy, but deliver me from another such a place as that.  Those groans still ring in my ears, and always will.  As you pass along you will see one just gasping for breath, another crying for water, another begging you to blow his brains out, and put him out of his misery. Some have their limbs blown off, others part of their faces off, then you will pass by one already in the cold embrace of death.  You may read, but you cannot imagine a thing about it.  

You sent me a paper containing Dickinson's speech, and I like it very  much and am glad you sent it to me, and you state you will send me money if I want it.  To be sure it is hard for us to get hold of a cent now until the government pays us what is our due, and we fare hard, but I return my thanks to you for offering such kindness, though I will not ask so much of you.  If you want to come here tell C----- that you want the password, and be careful to hold your oats.

Your friend, Chas. N. Elliott.


No comments:

Post a Comment