Monday, May 17, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War - July 29, 1861

 Chenango Telegraph, Norwich, NY, August 8, 1861

Letter from A.G. Northrup - 27th Regiment

First Battle of Bull Run

Camp Anderson, Washington, July 29, 1861

Editor American:  You have probably seen the full particulars of the great battle at Bull's Run, in which our forces were defeated, and I will give you some of my own experience.

Our company was on picket guard the night before the action, and at 2 o'clock, A.M., we were called in, and in an hour were on the march for the scene of action.  We marched about 12 miles when we began to hear the boom of cannon, and we knew that the strife had commenced. We pressed forward at a double quick rate and were soon in sight of the rebel batteries.  Our regiment was one of the first to charge the enemy in our column.  We drove them from their battery, and followed them into a deep valley, where they displayed a white flag, and our Colonel, supposing them to be our men, ordered us not to fire, but we soon found out our mistake and fired upon them. They returned the fire, killing our ensign and two privates.  Our brave fellows fell all around me, and I expected it would be my turn next, but, thank Heaven, I escaped without a wound. We were soon compelled to retreat, and we became separated and each one had to take care of himself. After four hours of hard fighting we were all on the retreat.  Our men were nearly exhausted, not having had anything to eat or drink except sea biscuit and muddy water for two days.

We actually filed our canteens with water from Bull's Run that was thick with mud, glad to get even that.  After we had retreated about 5 miles, the rebels fired upon us again, and we scattered in the woods in confusion.  I was completely exhausted and laid down in the woods and in less than ten minutes I was sound asleep.  When I awoke I was alone and it was dark.  I knew not which which way to go, but started  as near as I could judge in the direction of our army.  I soon came to where I heard    men at [.?.] approach, [but fearing] them to be rebels, I did not dare approach them but lay down under a beast heap and staid [.?]. 

When it was light enough to see, I started again and went directly toward the battle field again.  I inquired of a slave which way it was to Centerville and was told that it was in an opposite direction from that which I was traveling I soon retraced my steps toward Washington, with faint hopes of seeing it alive, as I was almost certain the enemy were between me and our army.  I threw away everything that I had, made a breakfast of whortleberries, and amid a drenching rain commenced my march.  The first man that I saw, stood in the road directly before me with a musket in his hand.  I supposed him to be a rebel, but went up to him and bade him "good morning." He proved to be one of our soldiers from the State of Maine.  At Centerville I fell in with three men from one of the Binghamton companies, and remained with them during the rest of the day. We were about the last on the road, and expected at any moment to see the enemy's cavalry approaching, but we did not see them. Several times during the day I was on the point of giving up in despair, but my companions urged me on, and after one of the hardest days of my life I succeeded in getting to Alexandria, Va., where I staid at the hut of a slave, glad to get as good shelter as that. The next day I took a boat and came to Washington where I found our regiment in their old quarters. Our boys thought I was either killed or taken prisoner, and when I made my appearance among them I was greeted with many a hearty shake of the hand.

Your townsman, Delos Payne, was in the thickest of the fight, and fought valiantly, and is anxious to get another chance to "pepper" them.  I am unable to say how long we shall remain here, probably three or four weeks.

Oscar Phelps is with us, having done his duty faithfully on the field of battle.

Our defeat was a bad one, but we hope to do better the next time.

Yours truly,  A.G. Northrup


No comments:

Post a Comment