Sunday, June 6, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War, December 1861

 Chenango American, Greene, NY, January 9, 1862

Letter from Henry Winter

Camp Clay, Washington, Dec. 20, 1861

Dear ---:  I received your kind letter tonight, and as I have a good opportunity to answer will improve it.  I have been to see Charles.  [Charles Winter] and have just got back.  I started Wednesday morning, and rode down on the steamer to Alexandria, 6 or 7 miles from Washington.  I had a very pleasant trip. Charlie is encamped 3 miles north west of Alexandria.  I came back a foot, across the country.  I wonder if you have any idea of the appearance of the surrounding country, and the reality of the stern and warlike appearance everything wears?  Think of the immense army quartered on the Potomac.  This is a noble river, and can well sustain the interests in which it is held.  It is, and ever will be, famed in history and in song.  I feel a veneration for it, and have done for a long time. What paramount relics of veneration or prominent objects of pride, both national and individual, that are not directly or indirectly connected with this river.

You remember of hearing about our troops cutting down the forests in Virginia.  I have seen some of it today. Hundreds of acres felled, so as to impede the approach of the enemy and give a clear view of the country.  Coming back to Washington from the 27th I saw some half dozen forts. They are built with commanding distances from one another all along the lines.

We are having splendid weather.  There has been no rain since we have been here. There is a Catholic cemetery about half a mile from camp.  There is a small chapel in it built of small poles and looks very well. There are flowers still in bloom and rose buds on the bushes, but they will not blossom.

Yesterday on my return from the 27th, I fell in company with a cavalry soldier who had been out on picket, near Mount Vernon.  He had a piece of the moulding of the pulpit of the church where Washington was married and attended Divine service.  I believe it is called the pohick.  He gave me a piece, also a twig of cedar or bachnatac or something else I can't find out what, but I conclude it is cedar.  The moulding is smooth pine, and is an emblematical memento of the pure simplicity in the private life of a great man.

We have just been cleaning our tent.  You would laugh if you could see our style, I guess.  You ask how I like our officers.  Some I like and some I don't.  I like our Captain very well, and our First Lieutenant is a favorite with the whole company.

In the bakery in the basement of the capitol, how many loaves to you suppose they bake in one day? 50,000.

Ever your affectionate brother,  Henry Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment