Sunday, June 13, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War - January 1862

 Oxford Times, February 26, 1862

Letter from Theodore F. McNeil, U.S. Navy

Barque Arthur, Jan. 14, 1862

Dear Sister:  We are now in the Gulf of Mexico.  We sailed from the Bahama Islands on the 7th inst., with a fair wind for Pensacola.  We had a fine passage and more beautiful weather never was known in New York State. The sun was scorching hot.  Thermometer about 60 or 70 degrees above zero, and was splendid evenings, the moon being unclouded most of the time and to all appearances warmer in all respects. We arrived at our destination on the 12th at 10 o'clock P.M., within about half a mile of where Wilson's Zouaves are encamped, which is on Santa Rosa Island.  It is covered with white sand and looks for all the world like drifted snows in old Chenango and one can hardly tell the difference for half a mile distant.

From where we are now anchored, we can see Fort McKay and Pickens.  The former looks from here as if it could stand quite a bombarding, but we are some three miles from it and, of course, cannot see the condition in which it really is in.  Fort Pickens is about three miles from here and cannot be seen clear enough to distinguish anything, both on account of distance and fog which is hanging over the gulf. This is the first place I have seen since I left New York where the Secession flag waved.  [It] floats over Fort McRay and somewhere also on the shore, but cannot tell where.  Suppose however that it is the Navy Yard.  Would like to see it attacked and the rebels, who support its standard, driven from the face of the earth or made to own their allegiance to the Federal Government.  It is rumored on ship board that we are to sail for Lake Ponchitrain or for Ship Island situated in its mouth, the first fair wind, but how true the rumor is I am as yet unable to say.  In fact it matters but little with me where we go or how soon.  I know no fear and am not afraid to enter into any engagement which may be ordered and would show by my acts that I was ready to fight, and as long as anyone on the ship could stand it. We have had no engagement yet, nor have we seen any, but it is uncertain how soon we may be led into battle. The longer I stay on the ship the more I become weaned from the pleasures which are to me enjoyed on land, and the many luxuries which, of course, we are deprived of here.  This is quite a pleasant place, and we are enjoying ourselves very well. The steamer Mississippi is lying at anchor, but a short distance from us, and several other vessels are in sight of us whose names I do not know. The Niagara, which is the flagship of the squadron, is I understand at the mouth of the Mississippi, and we have not therefore seen our Flag Officer.  Our officers are green in the Naval service, and therefore old naval salts [who] grumble not a little at the management of things on board. But of course I am no judge.  I believe old salts will grumble anyhow.  I think our officers are all well meaning, kind, and desire to do right, and will be right and would now, only for their ignorance, would be as efficient, daring and kind as anyone on board could ask.  But more of the higher officers have been in the Navy before, and have like most other men many things to learn.  But to "trust in Providence and keep our powder dry" is our watchword, and when the enemy appears whip them if we can.

Ship Island is about one hundred miles from here, the way we shall have to go to get there.  Some difference here in the climate from Oxford.  Here men are bare foot about the deck and nothing but shirts, pants and caps on.  There you are all bundled up to the ears and your eyes scarcely out enough to see.  It seems like a long summer to me, and seems as if I had not been home in a year.

We have drilling with cannon almost everyday.  I have a musket to fight with in case of boarding or being bearded and will make good use of it should I have an occasion to use it. Do not believe we shall have much fight to do. Cannot see what they are doing at Washington with their great army.  Should think it was about time there was some movement made there. There is nothing new or curious to write about as I have not been on land anywhere, and all things have been seen from a distance.  I have seen the prickly pear tree or shrub, the orange groves and many things of this sort, which of course would not interest you materially and would exhaust many pages and much time which is not at my command. There has been some nice fish caught on board here weighing from five to twenty-five pounds.

I have not much time to myself except evenings, which I usually spend in reading some book or other.  Had I known what I wanted when I left home I should have brought many things which we look upon as of no consequence there, which would have done good service here.  I should prepay letters, but I have no stamps and cannot get them.  Would like to drop into Oxford some day unexpectedly and see what is going on. I have been making a shirt and have made it as well as could be expected, and should I have done more sewing, had I time.  I find I can mend clothes or make them quite well.  Shall try and not become attached to the sea, so that I will not want to come back again.  Do not mean ever to go after this time, although there are many things here which are beneficial to one.  Yet there are many things contrarywise.  But from them I do not pattern.

I have just been called for the first time to practice with muskets the target on the fore yard, and then from the quarter deck.  Out of 31 shots, 20 took effect which when you remember that I never shot one before and that the target is in motion, as well as the ship, is pretty good shooting.  Out of 16 [-?-] pistols, 2 only hit, and out of 6 [-?-], 6 [-?-] 17 took effect.  When [we receive] wages at Ship Island we will have to go on shore and practice.  

Theodore F. McNeil

No comments:

Post a Comment