Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War - 44th Regiment - March 1863

 Chenango Telegraph, Norwich, NY, March 25, 1863

Letter from the 44th Regiment

Camp Near Falmouth, March 7, '63

For a long time I have been thinking of the termination of this terrible war.  After fighting so long we soldiers cannot think of compromise.  The blood of our dear friends and relatives killed upon the battlefield by the murderous rebels cry out against it.  Were it not for the traitors at the North, I think that long beforr this, our country would have been again restored to peace and happiness.  Northern traitors!  They are ten times worse than the southern rebels who are open and bold in their rebellion while their Northern allies are covertly waiting for an opportunity to open a fire in the rear while we are facing an open enemy in the front.  I could mention some of these enemies at home, but I do not desire to make a bad matter worse by laying to your neighbors' charge this foul crime.  I feel that there are patriots enough up North to attend to traitors at home, and we will attend to the Southrons.  I have no doubt, however, if these miscreants should raise a hand to trouble us the loyal north would rise en masse and crush them.  I see by the Copperhead press that much is said about the demoralization of the army.  Their information must be received from homesick soldiers who have tired of fighting for their country and homes.  Rest assured such is not the case.  The army was never in better condition than at present.  Give such flunkies who write such stuff home a chunk of fruit cake to eat, and a feather bed to lie upon, and they will be all right, provided they can lie "quiet upon the Potomac."  But as soon as a forward movement is made, at it they go again, and grumble, grumble, grumble.  These are the only men who talk about the army being demoralized.  I thank God we have got but a few of them in our Regiment. They are a curse to the service, and the sooner they are out of it the better, whether by desertion - their usual course - or by a court martial, it matters not which.

I hear a great deal is said in the North about men going to the war Republicans and immediately turning Copperhead or Democrat.  I don't see it.  For my part, I was a Democrat when I went to the war, and a rank one too.  I thought I knew all about the matter.  But when I came to investigate the matter in earnest for myself, I found I knew but little about it.  If a man wants to get an insight into Southern affairs, let him come down here and stay a couple of years and get acquainted with the negro bruisers, and he can go back and teach the thick pated Copperheads, or dough-heads, up North a thing or two.  I don't know of any Republicans in our regiment turning their coats.  I am sure this kind of business would not cause them to turn from right to wrong.  For my part, I am in favor of telling the old Union war horse to go through and not stop until he has got to the end of the race, and if he lives through it, all right it.  If he dies, he will have fallen in the performance of his duty. This doing anything up half way and then stopping because we have got opposition, I don't think much of.  To be sure, I would like to have this war ended, and we soldiers restored to our homes and friends once more, but never let it be done until it is ended in our favor, and complete at that.

(The writer here gives a detailed statement of his capture in the second battle of Bull Run, and of the condition of the rebel army.  He was a prisoner five days and was paroled, and afterwards exchanged.  He then continues)

The boys are all in good spirits and all express a wish to make a start to crush the rebellion as soon as the weather will admit.  There is not much "dead beating" going on in our Regiment this winter.  Most of the boys are enjoying good health, and are prepared for their duty. [unreadable] and the rebel camp can be seen plainly.  When Joe Hooker gets at -?- look out for week, Impatiently awaiting the onward movement to Richmond.

I am yours, &c. P.S.F., Co. D, 44th Reg. N.Y.S.V.



No comments:

Post a Comment