Friday, July 2, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War, September 1862

 Oxford Times, September 17, 1862

We have been permitted to make the following extract from a private letter from J.G. Thorp, Esq., formerly of this village [Oxford, Chenango Co. NY], who has been recently tendered a Colonel's Commission by the Governor of Wisconsin:

"But, I did not suppose I had much of a military or fighting reputation, until I was tendered by the governor last week, the colonel's Commission, for the new Regiment to be raised under the new call for troops in this part of the State.  Notwithstanding I am fifty years old, and never stood in the ranks an hour in my life, I should have accepted and gone in to crush out rebellion and slavery, had it not been for family and business. But feeling there were many others very desirous of the place, and who are better qualified to fill it, I thought it right to decline the honor.  Not being personally acquainted with the Governor, and bearing nothing of it till the tender was made, it was quite a surprise, and I may feel it quite an honor, inasmuch as there were many after it with strong recommendations.  But should "worst come to worst," and the rebels be victorious, so far as to call loudly for more help, rather than yield the cause, we must sacrifice all else, shoulder our muskets and charge bayonet, if necessary, to save our liberties, for what is property or  anything else without a government.


No comments:

Post a Comment