Thursday, November 4, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War, 10th N.Y. Cavalry - September 1863

 Oxford Times, September 23, 1863

Letter from the 10th N.Y. Cavalry

Camp Near Jefferson, Sept. 7th

Editor of Times:  Tis midnight in Virginia.  Restlessly I lay on my bed of leaves (for I had slept most of the previous) and sleep refused to visit me.  I arose and seated myself on the trunk of one of the giants of the forest, which had been felled by the tempests, such as are known only in the south.  I looked above and around me and admired nature's beauties, so beautifully distributed in the forests of Virginia.  Oh, how I wished for my dear ones at home, that they might enjoy the scene with me, as I sat there the cool breezes adding much to the attractiveness of all else.  I looked up to Heaven and saw the pale majestic moon riding through the vast expanse, shedding a beautiful light on all the earth.  I saw the little pearly stars floating about, laughing, winking at each other, hiding behind the silvery clouds, now dodging out, and now behind another cloud.  I watched them as they gathered into one vast black shroud, then broke and passed away, and many were my thoughts and the lessons I fancied they taught.  Then I looked around to the beautiful trees of every variety, many heavily laden and woven together by the grape, ivy and rose, and other vines making a beautiful canopy.  I listened to the song of the whippoorwill, as he sang his mournful prayer and to the joyous croak of the frogs, as they laughed at their jokes and told their stories, many of them loud enough so I could hear them; and then the merry laugh of all would ring out on the still quiet air, the buzz or hiss of the locust, and the chirp of the cricket, the deep heavy breathing of the soldiers quietly stretchrd on mother earth, the occasional neigh of some restless war horse, were all the sounds that reached my ears except the steady measured tread and clank of a few of the sentinels as they paced their lonely beat, watching that no danger comes to the sleepers.  And the semi-hourly arrival of the patrol, and the welcome report "All quiet!"  I look at the long rows of horses, some quietly sleeping, others up as if on guard, and the many tired men lying in long rows, with their deadly carbines and bright sabres, stacked near their heads, and the constant revolver at their side.

But listen! the whipporwill has ceased its song, the frogs their merriment, and all is dead silence.  Hark!  I hear the patrol and the quick heavy tread of his horse indicates speed.  He arrives, dead silence for a moment, then a bustle, then the clear shrill voice of the bugle calls all to arms.  See the uproar, one would think all very crazy and would never get in readiness, but look again five minutes later, is it possible, this is the same wild crowd!  Every man stands at his horse's head, with saddle on, and packed, carbine slug on his shoulder. Sabre and revolver girted and ready for the command to march.  Look, every man is in the saddle and the long straight line is proof that they know their duty, and understand their business.  See how the bright eyes glisten, and the fierce firm look, shows plainly that they are determined to fight until death. See the bright sabre glisten in the moonlight as a strong steady arm draws it forth to see if it is in order.  Hear the click of revolver and carbine locks, as they pass inspection.  All is ready, all right.  And now throught runs back to the dear ones at home, and a prayer goes up, from those hardy soldiers, that if they fall, that they may fall like men, and that God will protect the dear ones at home.  But God saved us from harm, for it was a false alarm, the enemy were moving, but not on us.  The ranks are broken, and all lay them down to sleep as quietly and composed as though they had not been disturbed.  Such is one of the many scenes in the soldier's life, though generally it does not end in this way, but in a long march and generally in a picket fight or sometimes we meet quite a force of the enemy.

Dear Times:  I did not think to write an introductory when I took my pen to say that for a long time, I have been waiting for some of our boys to send you a letter, and that lest some of the friends in Chenango should forget there was such a Regt. as the 10th N.Y. Cavalry, I will again remind them of our existence.

First, for it is uppermost in the minds of all at present, I will speak of the draft.  For a long time, it has been the subject of conversation here, and anxiously have we waited to receive the list of men whom fortune destined to be heroes and who, without the least exertion on their part are favored with the opportunity of taking up arms in defense of their country. Well, it has come at last, and certainly Chenango has not disgraced herself in sending such a reinforcement. She has shown herself well posted in military tactics and kept a good reserve. Don't be foolish now boys, but come like men and save your money for old age.

We received a letter from Capt. Lownsbery last night.  He is well and seemed to be in excellent spirits, says Richmond is quite gay this season, that there are five hundred boarders at the "Libby House."  His story is not as hard as many tell.  The company are badly split up at present, as the greater portion of them have been detailed as orderlies in the 2d Corps, but the health and spirits of the boys are good.  All prize the dear old "Times" very highly and its reception causes quite an excitement.  All crowd around to get a glimpse of its familiar face and hear the news from home, it is an honored visitor I assure you. As regards war news, you doubtless are far better posted than I am.  But I assure you the army never was in better condition.  All have confidence in our leaders, and are anxious to have the Rebels give us "fits" again. There seems to be some fears of a war with Europe. But let it come, We are ready now, have the men, equipage and all that is necessary. Our country conquered mother England in her infancy and now that she has become a powerful nation, I think we need have little fears. Even though a weakly sister is attracting some attention at home.

Consumption has taken strong hold of her and like all who are thus afflicted, she is slowly but surely wasting away, and in a short time she will be buried in disgrace, and I hope to be able to attend the funeral.

But I will close lest I should weary your patience. Brevity is the redeeming quality of my letter.  Hoping soon to hear from you by way of the Times and to hear that most of the drafted men are coming, I will say Good-bye for the present.

I would have our Chenango reserve soldiers know that they can join our Regt if they choose, as we have an officer in Elmira to receive all who wish to join the Cavalry.  Lieut. Gates is his name.

A volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment