Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Soldiers Letter, Civil War, July 1963

 Oxford Times, August 19, 1863

Letter from the 114th NY Infantry

The letter below from a member of the gallant 114th is sufficiently plain to be easily understood, and sufficiently positive to satisfy the most earnest and radical patriot.  It is from one who has the blood of the revolutionary sire coursing through his veins, and who does not propose to relinquish without a struggle, the blessings which his patriot father fought to obtain.

Donaldsville, La., July 17th [1863]

Dear Son:  I am now on the bank of the Mississippi. We have got the rebels surrounded on all sides between here and Opelousas and Brashear cities, so they cannot get back into Texas again. The Union men drove them out of Texas, while Banks' army was at Port Hudson, and now Banks has got them where he wants them, he says.  I suppose when the three Divisions march upon them, there will be some pretty hard fighting, probably a great many lives will be lost.  I may be one of them. If it should be so, you must do the best you can for yourself.  But there is one thing F. I want you should remember, that is, the peace democrats and copperheads are traitors to the Union and their country.  I want you should despise them as you would traitors. Remember this as long as you live and tell them if I get killed, that I fought for the union like a brave soldier, and was not a traitor, like them.  If it had not been for our northern traitors, this war would have been closed a year ago.  They are the cause of the loss of a great many lives of brave soldiers that are fighting for the union and the rising generation.  I have but one son, and I should be very sorry to have hm become a traitor to his country and the Union.  My father fought for our Independence, and for his country, and why should I not fight to maintain it?  And F., I want you should do the same, and stick to the Union as long as life lasts.  I suppose I have got one brother partly in favor of the copperheads or peace democrats.  Now, I don't want my son to be brought up in that way.  I had rather see him died on the battlefield, fighting for his country and the union.  I cannot see how fathers can hold their sons back from fighting for the union, when their fathers fought for it.  Now some of them tell them to destroy it!  Curse such men!  They ought to be shot down dead, when they open their months for such treason.  If I die, I shall die for my country and the union, not for a little money to leave behind and let the union go.  What do such narrow-minded men care?  Such men ought to be hung.  That is what I think about it.  I remain your father and a friend to the union and my country.   A.H.

________________________________

The writer is believed to be Asa Holmes of Oxford, and he was writing to his son Frank who was about 13 years of age.  The adjutant report for the 114th Regiment reveals that Asa did not survive the war.

HOLMES , ASA.—Age , 45 years. Enlisted, August 1, 1862, at Oxford, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. A , August 6, 1862; died of chronic diarrhea, November 1, 1863, at Barracks Hospital, New Orleans," La .

In Hospital, New Orleans, Nov. 2d, Mr. Asa Holmes of Co. A, 114th Reg., of Oxford, aged 47 years. [Oxford Times, Nov. 25, 1863]

A letter received by his wife, announces to her the sad tidings of the death of Asa Holmes, of company A, 114th Regiment, which occurred in Hospital at New Orleans.  Although exempt by age form military service, Mr. Holmes volunteered into the army, and sustained the character of a good soldier and true patriot.  [Oxford Times, Nov. 25, 1863]

Smithville [Chenango Co., NY]:  The funeral services of Asa Holmes of Co. A, 114th Reg. N.Y.S.V., will be held in the universalist church, in East Smithville on Sunday the 27th inst., at 1 o'clock, P.M.  Sermon by the pastor.  [Chenango American, Greene, NY, Dec. 24, 1863]

No comments:

Post a Comment