Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Robert Corbin Murder Trial, February 1869, Conclusion

Sentence of Corbin

Chenango Union, Norwich, NY, March 3, 1869

(Continued from posting of January 25, 1869)

On Tuesday morning of last week, Robert Corbin was brought before the Court for sentence, and on being asked by the Court if he had anything to say why the sentence of the Court should not be pronounced upon him, spoke as follows:

"I don't know that I have anything to say that would affect his matter.  My conscience does not smite me, and I don't know as I could say anything that would alter the convictions of the community.  I did the deed to save a man's life.  When he was coming toward me, I could back up.  I didn't feel as I did when I saw him trying to kill the man who had just saved my life.  I couldn't let him so it; and I don't know but I should do the same today, under the same circumstances.  I suppose I must receive my sentence; and I find no fault with the Court.  I don't know but they have given me all the lenity I ought to have."

The Court then sentenced the prisoner to hard labor in the State Prison at Auburn, for the period of two years and two months.

Robert Corbin Pardoned

Chenango Union, Norwich, NY, September 28, 1870

Governor Hoffman has pardoned Robert Corbin, and he has returned to his home in Afton.  Corbin, it will be recollected, was sentenced to Auburn prison for two years, for killing Kidder, in the spring of 1868.  He has served more than half his time, and is now pardoned out in consequence of ill health, as will be seen by the following letter from Governor Hoffman to Henry R. Mygatt, Esq.:

Albany, Sept. 19, 1870

Hon. Henry R. Mygatt:

Dr. Dimon of Auburn Prison has written me in answer to my inquiries that the continued confinement of Robert Corbin will result in perfect and permanent dementia, and that if removed he might recover, or that at least the progress of his disease would be stayed.  I have concluded, therefore, to pardon him.

Very Respectfully, John T. Hoffman

Chenango Union, Norwich, NY, October 5, 1870

Bainbridge:  The Review relates the following incident connected with the pardon of Robert Corbin:

"It is a fact known to most of our citizens that the pardon of Robert Corbin was obtained through the instrumentality of Col. Samuel North.  There is a little incident connected with the liberation of Mr. Corbin which we cannot refrain from mentioning. The Colonel has been a good friend to Mr. Corbin since his confinement, and it seems has frequently called at the prison and purchased for him such articles of comfort as he might desire. The Colonel called on the day of his reprieve, and as usual Mr. Corbin presented him with a list for a marketing expedition. The Colonel had been for some time studying how he could best break the news to Mr. Corbin, and this afforded him an opportunity too good to be lost. After carefully scanning the memorandum, the Colonel in his peculiar style observed--"Mr. Corbin, I have examined this list, and have come to the conclusion that the very best place to fill the order is at Bainbridge; here is the Governor's permission for you to personally superintend the purchases." It is needless to add that Mr. Corbin was overjoyed at this intelligence, and utterly failed to suppress the emotions of gratitude which welled up from his heart at being once more free to join his family and friends around the old hearthstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment