Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Letter from the Civil War, January 1863 (Henry R. Daniels)

 Union News, Union, NY, January 22, 1863

Owego, Dec. 27th, 1862

Mr. Editor:  Please let these lines have a place in your column for the purpose of informing the people of Union and vicinity of the facts of my so-called desertion from Capt. O.E. Hines Co.  It is known by some that on the 11th day of Feb. last, I went into a hospital near Washington, sick with typhoid fever and after remaining there two months and a half my father (being there taking care of me) we started for home, my father carrying me in his arms, as I was unable to stand up without assistance. We reached home the third day after leaving Washington and it was two weeks after that before I could stand on my feet.

I remained at home nearly five months unable to do work of any kind.  Capt. Hine then sent word to me to come back to my Company and if I was not fit for duty, he would have me discharged from the service.  I should have stated before that they gave me a furlough of thirty days when I left Washington, and said they would send my discharge before the expiration of that time, but it did not come, and I got two certificates of disability from Dr. Sprague of Owego at different times and sent them to the Regiment, one to Col Stuarr and one to Capt. Hine.

On the 18th day of Aug. I started for Washington, but on reaching there I learned that my company was at Alexandria and so to Alexandria I went.  I had been there but a few hours, when Capt. Hine told me he had got my discharge made out and sent it to headquarters at Washington to be signed and that he expected to get it in a few days.  He said that if I had stayed at home a few days longer, I would have got my discharge without coming down there.  He asked me if I want it and I told him I did not think I should ever be fit for duty again.  There was no more said about it, and I went at work doing light duty expecting every day to get my discharge. The Capt. never spoke to me about it again till the 18th of Nov., I think it was, I asked him what had become of my discharge?  "Why," said he, "I thought you did not want it and I burned it up."  He said he got it the second day after my return to the Company.  I thought he had no right to destroy it and went to a Lawyer in the city of Washington and told him my story.  He said Capt. Hine had no business to destroy a discharge and that they could not arrest me as a deserter if I went home.

Now, under the circumstances I contend that I am not a deserter, but an honorably discharged soldier for the reason that I have been discharged and have not enlisted since.

If Capt.  Hine thinks he can make me out a deserter, he can come and arrest me as such and have me punished accordingly.  He will find me in Bennington Co., Vermont till next Spring.  After that he will find me at home.

I do not know as I can say anymore to enlighten my friends concerning my skedaddle, therefore permit me to subscribe myself.  Respectfully yours, Henry R. Daniels.

No comments:

Post a Comment