Monday, March 31, 2014

Frank Scott Writes Home, 1917

Appointed Acting Corporal
Frank D. Scott Writes Home From Camp Gordon.
Bainbridge Republican & Express, Dec. 20, 1917
 
Dear Father--Arrived safely at Camp Gordon about Sunday noon.  I was terribly tired but had to march about a mile with all my baggage.  Our barrack was not occupied by anyone, consequently we had to get our beds, fill our bedticks and settle down, just like people who move in March.  Yesterday was spent in organizing the company and last night we ate supper in our own barrack.  I was appointed Acting Corporal over eight men.  One was a fellow from my company at Camp Dix, the others are from several other camps.  There are about twenty men from our original company as we left Camp Dix.  In all there are about sixty but we are all split up into other organizations.  It is raining hard here this morning but yesterday we sweat as if we were pitching hay.  It is an impossibility for me to be with you for Thanksgiving, but I will try and write something that will answer for my not being there.  Our barrack is on the outskirts of the camp and is surrounded on one side by woods.  I am sending you a cotton ball which I got here, there are acres and acres of it for miles around here.  I cannot find the cotton ball but will send you one later.  We have just had two lectures in the mess hall and now we are at rest in the barracks.  We have a nice warm fire in the barracks, as it is a raw cold air here when it rains.  Well I must close now.  I have just written a letter for a fellow soldier.  Hoping to hear from you soon.  I remain your loving son.  Private Frank D. Scott, Company 16, 4th Training Battalion, 157 Depot Brigade Camp Gordon, Georgia.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment