Thursday, December 11, 2014

Letter from Doris Stead on the Western Front - 1944

Letter from Doris Stead on the Western Front
Bainbridge News & Republican, November 23, 1944

Mr. and Mrs. Lester Stead and family received the following letter from their daughter, Doris, serving with the Red Cross on the Western Front, telling of her experiences which are most interesting:
 
Dear Folks,
I must apologize right away for not writing sooner--It's been over a week now--and frankly things have been so fast moving that until just a moment ago I had forgotten what day it was--and even was shocked to see my little calendar pointing to October.  What  have I been doing?  Well, my darlings, since my last letter we have moved about 40 kilometers to a lovely chateau--naturally still nearer the German frontier.  We're sleeping on cots in a steam-heated room--having cute little dressing tables, German (?!!) pictures deck the walls.  Our natural surroundings are beautiful--like a park, in fact no doubt an old family estate--around 12 acres of beautiful wooded paths, little lagoons, tennis court, lovely rolling slope down from the chateau to tents where we join the chow line with the T.D. (Tank Destroyers) group.  Special Service has rigged up a P.A. system in our recreation hall so that we now enjoy dinner music and news with our meals (incidentally, excellent food--even to fruit juice and pie for supper tonight) mm--but I am putting on weight  Guess I'll have plenty of chance to lose it on board ship coming back to the States (I hope).
 
Yesterday, guess what appeared in my room?  Two little GI's carried a portable organ way up three flights to my room.  It's the Chaplain's but so easy to handle and so wonderful to play.  Immediately I dashed to the luggage room--got down to the bottom layer of my locker and brought out--you guess what--my sheet music--popular and classical.  To you it must sound as tho' the Red Cross is turning into a lazy outfit--no such thing--in fact things run even more to schedule than before--Still cooking in one day and serving out next.  Tonight it was 7:30 before we had finished scrubbing layers of mud from our clubmobile floor--stacked away 2,000 doughnuts (enough for 1,000 men tomorrow), fixed "sweet" trays and loaded coffee urns and platform over clubmobile.  Tomorrow morning will see us up at 7--dash into uniforms and leggings--rush to chow, crawl into "Cedar Rapids" and follow GI guide anywhere from two miles to 50 miles to serve scheduled group.  We usually serve approximately 1,000 men per day--anything from infantry, tank groups, engineers, rest camps, field artillery on up--it takes us a full day getting us home between 7-9 p.m.  After washing out our coffee urns  we walk up to the chateau either to crawl into bed, write letters, or have an occasional date--and I'm still loving it.
 
There is so very much to tell.  Among other things I bumped into my first Bainbridgite the other day--since I've been in the E.T.O. Alvin Sherman--I never actually knew him, but I went to school with Florence, his sister.  It was so good to talk to him and he insisted upon doing K.P. for us (washing cups, etc.).  Can you beat that?!  He's in the infantry and very close to the front--no easy life for him.  The very same day I met Ronald Hinman, from Afton--Seemed like a nice sort of "guy"--Have been meeting many from Binghamton whom of course, I don't know--but we always find things in common to talk about--such as George F. Pavilion, the Barn, Coffee Shop, Hill's, McLean & Haskins, etc.  Certainly would appreciate your contacting the Sherman family and telling them how thrilled I was to see Alvin--that he is looking very well and hoping like all of us to get home for Christmas dinner (which secretly we know is absolutely impossible). 
 
In some sectors the war seems to be moving steadily along--but in this particular part (how I wish I could tell you where) the enemy have really dug in to the extent that three feet thick concrete pill boxes can't be broken even by B-17 bombs.  Some outfits are pouring oil down gun holes trying to burn the enemy out.  I believe I'm revealing no military information--not already revealed in the papers.  In fact I have a feeling that Berlin may even be taken before this particular spot succumbs.  Time alone will tell.
 
So many interesting episodes to relate.  A couple days ago we served F.A. at old Maginot line--The fellows let us explore parts of the pill boxes--and too, their slit trenches and general bivouac set up.  As we left, German 88's started whistling in upon us--we weren't able to serve Battery B--so you see folks, we really see war--perhaps I shouldn't tell you how close we are--but I believe it's better for you to know.  I only wish more parents actually knew what their sons are going through over here--I tell you it's hell.  Talked with a Sergeant whose task it is to pick up bodies from fields of battle--tears came to his eyes as he told of picking up several of his dead buddies, of others unidentified--that's war.  Life doesn't seem to mean much over here.  No I never fear for myself--I never am in real danger--but I know what those fellows go through and it's not milk and honey.  Often no food--often no gas--often no ammunition.  Perhaps the censor will cut this all out--but if he does I can tell you all when I get home.
 
I just wish I were a good writer so that I could put all my experiences into a book--one which would so stir up the people of the U.S.A. that they would never allow another war.  Just you wait and see--another 20-30 years another war will come.  Man is too selfish--to jealous--too greedy.
 
Way past my bed time but still have much to say  Had to write couple little things for clubmobile diary tonight.  Also brushed my clothes--took a bath from helmet and washed undies in same water, took a knife to dig mud from my GI shoes and in general tried to clean up for big serving day tomorrow.  I can't understand why I don't receive your packages.  Can't you insure them?  I suppose not.  Well anyway I know you are trying. Guess they are intercepted or maybe I'll get them eventually.  Hope so.  Also have begun to receive the Bainbridge News.  Have three copies now and I wouldn't miss them for anything.  Must write Claire a note and thank her.  Too, the S.S. papers come through each week.  Thank Joyce Schroth--believe it's her handwriting on envelope. 
 
Had two days leave in Paris last week which I forgot to mention.  It fairly swept me off my feet.  Paris is, beyond all doubt, the most beautiful city I have ever seen--far surpasses New York City  spent most of my time sight seeing--all the places I had ever read or studied about and taking pictures galore.  Little food and night life in Paris as yet--but Red Cross Club is simply beautiful there.  They've taken over best hotel in Paris and really are doing a bang up job.
 
Must be crawling in and get some shut eye--'Scuse scrawl.  I sleep like a log.  All night the F.A. are shooting long range guns around us--but I never hear a thing.  An occasional 88 (German) bursts close by--but regardless--France is beautiful--Alsace and Lorraine are superb.  On our next day off we hope to drive a few miles away to Luxemburg and perhaps Belgium. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment