Saturday, November 21, 2020

Civil War Letter from Danville Prison, Va., November 1864

 Oxford Times, January 25, 1865

We understand that eight letters have been received from Capt. Roome, in the Danville Prison, Va., with dates from Oct. 10th to Dec. 18th.  Knowing that his friends and the members of his company are anxious to learn how he fares, we give the following extracts from the letters.

C.S. Military Prison, Danville, Va., Nov. 26, 1864

My Dear Mother:  Knowing you will be anxious to hear from me, and fearing you may not have received the letters I have written you, I will state again that I was taken a prisoner in a charge made against the enemy's works, on the 27th of Sept. while trying to save the colors of the Regt.  I was taken first to Libby, then to Salisbury, N.C., and from thence as could be expected, pressing my nose against the grate of a military prison.  I am not treated as badly as I expected.  My food is very coarse and plain, and I could eat more than they give;  still what I have is sufficient to sustain life, so you need not worry your self for fear that I am starving to death, because I am not.  I am well, and in good spirits, and if I had anything to employ my hands with, prison life would not seem such a great hardship.  I am getting used to it, and try to keep in as good spirits as possible.

We are confined on the two upper floors of a tobacco warehouse.  The weather here is as cold as at the North; but we keep comfortable, except when the nights are chilly.  It makes it harder to bear, as I expected to spend the winter at home, after my three years' service; but fate has willed that our separation should be longer.  Keep up a brave heart, and all will come out right yet.

I want a box of things sent as soon as possible, containing the following articles:  1 under shirt, 1 over shirt, flannel, 2 prs. drawers, 2 prs. socks, 2 pocket handkerchiefs, needles, thread yarn and scissors, buttons, towels, pocket comb, tooth brush, bar washing soap, bar toilet soap, paper of pepper, pepper box, 1 qt. tin cup, 1 two qt. tin pail, knife, fork and spoon, jack knife, bottle of ink, one quire of letter paper, 50 envelopes, lead pencils, diary for 1865, tin plate, 1 pr. shoes, 1 frying pan, 2 lbs. yeast powder for raising biscuit, and any small articles which you think would be useful to me.  Get also some strong cotton cloth, and make me three bags, which will hold about 20 lbs. flour, (I do not want the flour).

The money which was taken from us at Richmond, has been sent here for our use, and as long as mine lasts, I hope to fare better than I have done.  I am very anxious to hear from you, and watch the arrival of every Flag of Truce Boat, which may bring me a dear welcome message from you.  It would come like a ray of sunlight in my prison home, and lighten the darkness of many a dreary hour.

We still continue hoping against hope, that there will be a general exchange this winter.  It would amuse you to hear the rumors which are being continually set afloat about it.  The sick in the Hospital are expected to be exchanged every day, so you see he is a lucky fellow who gets sick here, and yet is not dangerously ill.  When I get home again, I shall know how to appreciate good living, and the comforts of a home.

I shall write every ten days, but you must not expect to receive the letters regularly.  Love to all the family, and a heart full to you, my dear precious mother. Tell Caddie his uncle Henry eats his soup and meat with his fingers.


From the New York Adjutant Report:  89th NY Infantry:

Roome, Henry C.:  Age, 23 years.  Enrolled, September 23, 1861, at Oxford, to serve three years; mustered in as second lieutenant, Co. E., December 4, 1861; as captain, October 16, 1862; captured in action, September 29, 1864, at Chaffins Farm, Va.; paroled, March, 1865; discharged, August 16, 1865, at Richmond, Va.

No comments:

Post a Comment