Friday, November 20, 2020

Death of Lieut. Edward E. Breed , Battle of Winchester, Va. - September 19, 1864

 Oxford Times, October 19, 1864

Killed in the battle of Winchester, Va., on the 19th of September ult., Lieut. Edward E. Breed of the 114th Regiment, N.Y.S.V., in the 22d year of his age.

Lieut. Breed was the son of our townsman [Norwich, Chenango Co., NY], William R. Breed, Esq.,  He received a good education at the Norwich and Oxford Academies, and studied law for a brief period with Horace Packer, Esq. of Oxford.  Upon the organization of the 114th Regiment in 1862, he enlisted as a private in Co. A.  He was soon appointed to a Sergeantcy, and following the fortunes of the Regiment in Louisiana, he shared in the battles of Camp Bisland and Pattersonville, in the assault upon Port Hudson, and in the perilous Red River expedition.  In August 1863, he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant and transferred to Co. H.  In October, 1863, he was promoted to the First lieutenancy of the same Company, and was in command of the same in the battle where he met his death, the Captain, York, being absent at the time upon detached service.  In every trust he exhibited a fidelity and capacity adequate to the duty, where resolute bravery was never more needed, and he died, as Christian parents and patriots would wish their sons to die, battling manfully for the liberties of this country, and leaving a name hallowed in the hearts of the virtuous and the good.

The following letter from Surgeon Wagner announces tin fitting words the sad particulars, and pays a deserved tribute to the young and chivalrous soldier:

Office 19th A.C. Hospital, Winchester, Va. Sept 25th, 1864

H. Packer, Esq:  My Dear Friend:  I seize the earliest opportunity to write you a line in reference to the death of your brave nephew.  However great the loss to his friends nod immediate relatives, yet to his country it is irreparable.  He was a hero.  I would be willing to give a thousand lives to die as he died.  After all the color bearers were shot down, he seized the battle flag and flaunted it defiantly at the enemy, before he received his wound.  When brought from the field, the first expression he made to me was that I must take out the ball, that he might "go back and fight them again."  I immediately sent him to a house nearby, where Col. Per Lee had been sent. During the time I was overwhelmed with the wounded brought, to me.  When I returned to him, I told him his wound was mortal.  Then replied the brave boy, "Tell my friends I die just as I wanted to.  I die perfectly happy.  I died for my country."  He was calm, dispassionate, but terribly in earnest, Idolized by the soldiers, no young officer has left a name more imperishable than Lieutenant Breed.  Hereafter his name will be the synonym of all that is true, noble and chivalrous.

Oh, how perfectly inadequate are any words I may write, to do justice to his memory.  When I have leisure, I will write more in detail to his heart-broken mother.  Give his parents and relatives assurances of my deepest sympathy for this bereavement.  Accept for yourself my sincerest regards, and believe me, most truly,  Your Friend, L.P. Wagner.

We learn that Capt. R.A. Stanton of this village, has gone to Winchester for the purpose of obtaining and bringing home lieut. Breed's remains.   Chenango Union.

Since the above was published, we learn that Capt. Stanton has returned with the remains of Lieut. Breed, and that on Sunday last his funeral was largely attended at the residence of his father in Norwich, the Rev. Mr. Scoville officiating, taking for the foundation of his very appropriate remarks on the occasion, the scripture, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith, henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness."  Prof. Barber, now of the Oxford Academy, who had charge of the education of Lieut. Breed at Norwich, and at this place, with swelling heart, spoke at the funeral, bearing testimony to the scholarly and manly life and virtues of the deceased, while under his charge.  Col. PerLee of the immortal 114th, was also present and in fitting words paid a touching tribute to the soldierly conduct, the prowess and the valor of the deceased. Though a lion in the field, the colonel here was as a child, freely mingling his tears of sympathy with the bereaved relatives and sorrowing friends. So with heavy hearts, they gently--gently passed to his resting place, that good and brave young man.  He sleeps in triumph and in honor.


No comments:

Post a Comment