Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Civil War Letter - September 1861

 Union News, Broome County, New York, October 10, 1861

Camp Dickinson, Near Alexandra, Va., Sept. 26, '61

Friend Benedict:  It has been some time since I have written to you, for reasons already stated, and although pressed for time, I'll drop you a few lines.  Hibbie, I suppose, has covered the ground (far as news is concerned) that I have lost, and I'll begin with today.  At the present time, I find myself one of a company of twenty men, stationed about four miles from camp, on the Richmond road as picket, and I have taken my position on a pile of rails, with my overcoat as cushion to my sofa, and a sack of oats (belonging to the cavalry pickets) for a writing desk, scratching a few lines to you. The cavalry scouting party of eight men have just come in, and report a skirmish about three miles from here on the Fairfax road. As they were riding leisurely along, they met a man and inquired if there were any rebel pickets in the neighborhood.  He told them there were none within four miles. But our boys had not gone 200 rods, when turning a corner in the road, they came suddenly upon ten of them, not more than eight rods in advance, that fired a volley upon our lads, who threw themselves from their horses and thus avoided their fire, which they immediately returned with better effect. Our boys were armed with Sharp's Carbines, the ugliest little things to throw a ball I ever saw.  Three of the rebels were killed and two wounded.  Our lads immediately mounted and fell back, as the rebels had retired into the thick pine woods or rather brush, that the sacred sod of Virginia produces so much of.  They also report an advance of a Brigade of the rebels in that direction.  Our Brigade has had an accession to its numbers of another company of Cavalry, 100 strong, and another Artillery company of 160 men and six pieces of cannon is expected soon.

The work on our new Fort goes on with rather more energy than usual. The whole Brigade, with the exception of four companies for picket guard, being employed on the work.  Today there is nothing doing, as the Brigade (with the exception of four companies, and I happen to belong to one of the four, for pickets) is observing the day appointed for thanksgiving and prayer, in different ways, a good share, I believe, in getting moderately sober.

Yesterday, Gen. McClellan and staff, accompanied by a young Russian Prince (the name is a jaw breaker. I'll not try to write it) visited the different camps and works.  As they rode through the Fort all the diggers left the ditches, and climbing upon the half-finished parapet, gave them an enthusiastic cheering.  The Prince and Gen. McClellan uncovered their heads while in the presence of their august slaves.  The Fort is no ordinary affair, as the walls enclose an irregular area of seventeen acres, and 'tis expected to mount one hundred and twenty-five guns of the larger size, 64 pounders, and 'twill stand unrivalled in strength on the West side of the Potomac.

Our boys are unpaid as yet and I hear some murmuring, but as a general thing, all the past insubordinates of the army are at present tractable, owing, I suppose, to the fact of the Tract Society's having distributed some seventeen million of religious brochures among them.  I think 'tis well they should save their strength for a common enemy.  Don't you?  Well, I've got to go to Col. Mason's a half mile from here.

Well, I am here at the Colonel's and after taking a look at the sun dial in the front yard, which said it was four o'clock, I have anchored myself on one of the seats in the veranda, and am ready to commence again. The Colonel's mansion is situated upon a rise of ground, that commands the most beautiful landscape (without exception) I ever beheld.  The valley to the southeast, containing the estates of the different members of the Mason family, is unparalleled in beauty. Stretched away to the distance of nine miles, is seen the waters of the Potomac, with its surface dotted incessantly with various crafts, which are more numerous than ever at the present active time.  The Mount Vernon estate is in sight, but too far to distinguish, with the naked eye, anything.  Col. Mason is now in the Rebel army, and has been in the habit of coming home to visit his wife previous to our stationing a picket at his house.  There is a guard, one dozen strong, kept there now continually, in hopes to capture him on some of his visits home.  Rather a mean way of doing business, I think.  If I was so lucky as to get a wife, I should want to see her occasionally, I conclude. The Colonel's Mansion House was built in 1843 and is now in complete repairs, and everything looks and speaks of good management.  His wife is at home, about 35 years of age, and a very interesting woman.  She has three young ladies from Alexandria staying with her, and an elderly lady, her mother perhaps, that makes up the whites.  Blacks are numerous, of different gender, age and color, around the negro quarters, I must leave again.

Sept. 27th:  I did not have time to finish yesterday.  When I got back to the picket station, Hibbie had been taken sick and gone back to camp. Today he is better again.  It rained nearly all night, and we were not relieved until past twelve o'clock.  No adventures to chronicle.  The 27th is known out around, and has never been attacked on pickets, while the 26th and 16th N.Y.V. and 5th Maine, have some one shot every few days.  It has got out around among the rebels, that the 27th are perfect demons to fight, and they are very careful not to molest us with anything like equal numbers.  Night before last, the 16th's pickets were drove in on the same road we were stationed last night.  Nothing occurred, however, except one of the cavalry horse got tangled up and had to be cut loose.

Well, I've concluded to let it rain, as 'tis pouring down like suds, and as the sheet is full, I may as well close, and subscribe myself,    Blockhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment