Saturday, June 26, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War, May 1862

 Oxford Times, May 21, 1862

Letter from T.B. Harrot

Roanoke Island, N.C., Co. E, Fort Foster, May 4th, 1862,

Today being Sunday, which is rather a lazy as well as idle day in camp, generally, (when no moves or marches are on hand) through most of the military department.  Think our friends would like to hear from the boys, what they are doing, and what they have been doing, I resolved to impart some of my time in giving you some of our proceedings for a few days past.  All has been very quiet on Roanoke, and our boys began to be rather impatient for something to do, when one day the steamer Alice Price (Gen. Burnside's Ship) came in sight followed by a number of other steamers. The boys knew something was in the wind, our hearts beat quick with anticipation as we waited anxiously for orders. They came and we must have three days rations in our knapsacks, 50 rounds of cartridges, blankets rolled ready to sling on our shoulders to sleep on our arms to be ready at a moment's warning, and thus we waited two days. We embarked April 19th about 3 o'clock P.M. sailed in a direction toward Elizabeth city  We brought up about midnight a short distance from Elizabeth City in the Pasquotank River. The day had been pleasant and the night was still and beautiful as ever greeted this Southern clime, and our small army of five regiments presented a rather romantic scene as they went wading on shore all along the bank of the river and clambering up the bank. This was a sight worth witnessing.  Not a sound could be heard except the occasional splash of oars, the chirp of crickets as we got on shore, or the low commands of Officers calling their companies together.  So silent was this move conducted that had you been on shore asleep, you would not have been disturbed.

The Regiments were formed on the bank and we started on our march about 3 o'clock A.M. and a very pleasant march until the sun came out, when we began to realize they had some very hot weather here south.  The boys began throwing off their blankets, they could be seen strung along the road the whole day's march. We suffered greatly of thirst, I drank many times out of mud holes.  I once drove a hog out of a hole and drank.  I saw many others do the same. This was what tried a man's spunk and constitution.  Our men were giving out constantly.  After marching 34 miles we came to the field of action.  The enemy commenced throwing shells at us as we were marching through the woods. They went over our heads, their range being too high.

We marched out into the field. Our regiments divided and crept along the edge of the woods on both sides. Our field pieces were soon ranged and began to play into them, which soon silenced them.  The N.Y. 9th Zouaves made a charge on their battery, were cut to pieces terribly, and were obliged to retreat.  Our regiment took their place, charged on them. They ran in all directions, and we gained the ground.

We could not follow their retreat, we were too tired.   Nearly half our troops fell out on the road, not able to continue the march, and the rest in no way fit to go into action.  We fought the celebrated Georgia 3d. They term themselves "Georgia Tigers," also the "Louisiana Wild Cats," and some militia.  The bullets flew like hail all around us, but strange to say not a man of our regiment was killed. One man was mortally wounded who has since died, a number of our company received bullet holes through their clothes, myself included, with one through my coat just below my belt.

We stacked our arms on the field and gathered up our blankets, knapsacks, &c. which we left outside the field.  At this time it commenced raining and we were obliged to resort to the woods for shelter.  It was nearly dark.  I rolled myself up in my blanket, and lay down and soon forgot the hardships of the day, as my dreamy thoughts wandered back to our northern home, with old friends and enjoying myself in the anticipations of a peaceful home.  I had slept just about two hours.  What was my feelings when one of my comrades shook me and says make no noise, for the enemy had received reinforcements and that we must return to our boats, which were an 18 miles march.  I hardly knew whether to make the undertaking or to stay and take my chances with the rebels. I resolved to do my best. I knew I could not hold out to get to the boat.  Worn out, wet and hungry, we started on our march through rain and mud ankle deep at 10 o'clock. We had marched seven miles, I stopped to a well and found some good water.  I sat down felt a little hungry.  I had two small biscuits in my knapsack, I ate them and felt stronger and able to continue the march. We reached our boats just at daylight.  Our rear guards brought up neatly all our stragglers, but two or three are missing in our regiment.  Our loss is estimated at 14 killed, 61 wounded.  the enemy's loss is not known as they carried most of them off in their retreat.  30 I believe were found on the field.  We took six prisoners.  our long and tedious march was owing to our negro guide, who had been hired by the rebels to lead us out of the way.  It has been found out that we could get there in marching 4 miles by sailing up the river farther.  He won't be very apt to lead any more soldiers, for one of the Zouaves' bullets penetrated his brain.  Had we not been misled we should no doubt accomplished all that was anticipated.  It was the intention to destroy one of the locks in the Dismal Swamp Canal to prevent their Iron clad boats from coming down on us from Norfolk.  We find some differences here in ---ing through the country, [....unreadable....] We expect try them again soon, when they will not get off so easily.

The report is that we are going to leave the Island, and that Regulars are coming on in our place.  I expect we shall go to Newbern, though it is impossible for us to tell.  I think there is an advance to be made.

The weather is pleasant, with once in a while a day that makes us take off some clothes. We have pleasant quarters, good clothing, good living and I think all are enjoying themselves well.

T.B. Harrot


No comments:

Post a Comment