Saturday, July 2, 2016

Patrick E. Brennan Writes about Soldiers' Doings - 1917

Letter From Camp
Bainbridge Republican, October 25, 1917

Spartanburg, S.C., Oct. 19th [1917]
Dear Friend:
I enjoyed my trip South very much but it ended too soon.  We were on the road five days and six nights. We made stops at South Schenectady, Jersey City, Washington and Spencer, N.C., to water and feed our stock.  South Schenectady was where I was shot at.  I was on guard in the baggage car and C and D Batteries each had half the car, so two were there on guard.  I was told I could lie down and sleep if I wanted to, so I did.  At 11 p.m. when another fellow came to go on guard in the D Battery man's place, some man from inside of the car shot twice at him.  I thought it was only the torpedoes on the track exploding, being half asleep.  Then they thought I did the shooting and came in, woke me up and examined my pistol. When they found out I didn't, they left and I went to the door with this other fellow when suddenly two more shots were fired but they didn't even hit the car.  I didn't sleep any more, you can bet, and when the corporal of the guard came into the car I started to hit him over the head because I thought it was someone else. It was a good experience, all right, and makes my first in that line.
 
I saw Ted C. and Ed K. the other night, pretty near all the Bainbridge boys. They have a dandy place over there compared to ours.  We made our camp in the remains of a corn patch and our park (the place we keep our guns, carriages and horses) in a cotton field.  I picked cotton all day Tuesday and believe me, the sun can shine some down here.  It is very warm.  The last Saturday we were in Plattsburg it snowed some and we often found ice on our water pails in the morning.  This is certainly a lovely place down here. We are camped five miles from town and we are kept in for our first ten days before we are let out, and in order to get a pass we have to pass some kind of an examination.  I only expected to be here 16 weeks and then move again....
 
I imagine you find school life dull with everyone away, but you know any young fellow who is big enough ought to go, and I know if I hadn't tried to enlist I would feel ashamed of myself to stay back.  It is one's duty in the present time. They need us bad enough and I guess the chances are pretty good for a safe return. There is no use in lookin on the dark side of things, and I try to make myself believe I am having the time of my life when things go wrong once in a while.  It doesn't seem to me as though I was so very far away from the people I know. 
 
It is pretty near time for retreat, 6 p.m., and maybe I had better dig back for camp as I sneaked away for awhile.  Hoping to hear from you soon.  I close with best wishes to all
 
Your sincere friend, 
Patrick E. Brennan, Battery C, 1st, N.Y. F.A., Camp Wadsworth 
_________________________________________________
 
Patrick Edward Brennan was born in 1899 in Ireland the son of Joseph and Kathleen Brennan.  In 1900 Patrick and his mother immigrated to the United States, his father having immigrated the year before.  They settled in Bainbridge, Chenango Co., NY.  Patrick was 18 years of age when he enlisted at Binghamton, NY in Battery C, 104th Field Artillery.  He served overseas from August 1918 to December 1918 during World War I.  He eventually settled in Middletown, Orange Co., NY, where he spent the majority of his life.  At the time of World War II he enlisted once again as a private.
 
Binghamton Press, April 23, 1919
Private Patrick Brennan of the 104th Field Artillery, who has just arrived from several months service overseas, is a guest of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Collins at their home in West Main street [Bainbridge, Chenango Co., NY]
 
Marriage Announcement
Bainbridge News & Republican, February 23, 1933
Miss Elizabeth B. Armstrong only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar R. Armstrong, of Middletown, N.Y., became the bride of Mr. Patrick Edward Brennan, formerly of Bainbridge, at a  high nuptial mass at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Chruch of Middletown, on Saturday, February 18th, at 9:00 a.m.  The bride is a graduate of the Middletown High School, Class of 1925, of which she was treasurer. She graduated from Mount Ida School at Newton, Mass., and also attended Skidmore College, at Saratoga Springs, where she was a member of the Secretarial Club, the college archery team and the Glee Club. She is a member of the Women's University Club of Middletown.  Mr. Brennan has been in the life insurance business in Middletown for the past three years.  He served overseas during the World War and is a member of the Middletown American Legion Post.  He is also prominent in Democratic circles, and chairman of the Jeffersonian Club.  He is well known in Bainbridge, and is the nephew of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Collins, Sr., of this village [Bainbridge, Chenango Co., NY].  Mrs. Brennan's father is vice president and secretary of the Archibald Taylor Company, Middletown's leading insurance firm.  Among the guests was Miss Mary Brennan of New York city, a sister of the groom and a former resident of Bainbridge.
 
Obituary
Middletown Times Herald Record, October 19, 1963
Patrick Edward Brennen, 64, of 8 Randall Terrace, Middletown, died Thursday after a long illness.  Mr. Brennan was a retired staff attendant at Middletown State Hospital.  He was born in Dublin, Ireland, Jan. 18, 1899, the son of Joseph F. and Kathleen O'Farrell Brennan.  He was a member of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the American Legion, and Holy Name Society.  Surviving are his widow, the former Elizabeth Armstrong; a son, Edgar A. of Middletown; two grandchildren; a brother, Joseph of Endicott; and a sister, Mrs. Wallace Towle of San Francisco.  Services will be 9:30 Monday from the Ralston Funeral Home, followed by a solemn High Requiem Mass at 10 in Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church. Burial will be in Holy Name Cemetery, Otisville.
 
Middletown Times Herald Record, October 21, 1963
Middletown [Orange Co., NY]:  Funeral services for Patrick Edward Brennan of 8 Randall Terrace, Middletown, will be held today at 10 at Mt. Carmel Church. Burial will be in Holy Name Cemetery, Otisville.  Mrs. Brennan was a veteran of both World War I and II.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this. It was amazing reading a letter my great grandfather wrote and learning about other family members.

    ReplyDelete