Friday, April 21, 2017

Delay Frink, WWI soldier - 1917

Delay Frink, Now with Forces in France Writes Norwich Relatives
Utica Saturday Globe, February 1917
 
 
Delay Frink
1888 - 1947

Norwich [Chenango Co., NY]:  Norwich relatives have just received letters from Delay Frink, who is with the American expeditionary force in France.  He enlisted at Syracuse as a private in Company G, Twenty-third Regiment, United States infantry.  He writes that he is well and glad to be in the service.  Private Frink is a son of David Frink, of Pharsalia [Chenango Co., NY].  He formerly made his home in Norwich and still has five sisters, all residing in this city. They are Mrs. Milton Steward, Mrs. James H. Westcott, Jr., Mrs. Charles P. Chesebro, Mrs. Belle Van Dusen and Miss Mary Frink.
 
Somewhere in France
Norwich Sun, December 19, 1917
Mrs. Eva M. Westcott of 50 West Main street is in receipt of the following letter from her brother, Delay Frink, Co. G, 23 Infantry A.E.F., N.Y.
 
France, Nov. 28--My dear sister and all:
I will now answer your letter that I received last night.  I am ashamed that I have not written before but there are so many of you, I don't know which one to write to first, but nevertheless, I am somewhere in France and having the time of my life; airplanes in the air, everything is fine in France.  I like it here as well as I do in the States. We have turkey dinner tomorrow (Thanksgiving).  Wish you were here to eat with me.  I was down to one of the cities last week and had a fine time.  I can't send you my picture because it won't go through the mail.  You know soldier's mail is all censored, so I don't know what to write about. The weather here is not cold, yet but it rains every day and it snowed here this morning.  I don't think the snow gets over six inches deep where I am.  I think I will be able to talk French if I stay here long enough.
Delay Frink, Co. G 23 inf, N.Y. A.E.F.
 
Discharged From Army
Norwich Sun, September 10, 1919
Delay Frink of Norwich, who has been in the service of his country for the past two years, has arrived at his home in this city, having obtained his honorable discharge.  Mr. Frink was a member of the 23rd infantry, Second Division.
 
Obituary
Binghamton Press, August 6, 1947
Delay Frink, 59, of 2 Lincoln Avenue, died at 5:40 p.m. Tuesday at the Veterans Hospital, Bath.  He is survived by six sisters, Mrs. Mary McNitt, Mrs. Belle Van Dusen and Mrs. Martie Steward, all of Norwich, Mrs. Pearl Greenleaf of North Pharsalia, Mrs. Edna Aldrich of Endicott and Mrs. Eva Westcott of Buffalo; two brothers, Grover Frink of Plymouth and Otto Frink of Endicott, also several nieces and nephews.  He was a veteran of World War I. The body was removed to the Allen Memorial Home, 511-513 East Main Street, Endicott. Funeral arrangements will be made later.
 
[Buried Vestal Hills Memorial Park, Vestal, Broome Co., NY]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment