Thursday, August 15, 2019

Letter from John W. White - Civil War Soldier

Letter:  John W. White, Sickles' Brigade
Chenango American, August 22, 1861

Washington, Aug. 8, 1861
Friends of Chenango:  Having a little leisure, and thinking of my friends in Chenango to whom I have not personally written, and who perhaps would b glad to know where I am and how I like the life of a soldier, I write a few lines to the Chenango American for publication.

We are now encamped about one mile from Washington, and in full view of the great Capitol of the United States; have been here about two weeks--Left Camp Scott, Staten Island with one hour's notice, which caused some of us to get ready for a long journey in a little less time than we had been in the habit of. We had rather a tedious journey of one day and two nights; during which time we ate but three times and slept but little; riding most of the way in cars which had previously been used for conveying hogs and cattle to market. We had a good time notwithstanding.  We marched through the city of Baltimore a little after dark, amid the cheers of friends and the frowns of foes. We were passing quietly along when one of Jeff's friends proposed three cheers for him.  Quite a number responded. Before the echo had died away one of our men called out three groans for the Southern Confederacy. The officers tried to restrain the men, but it was no use, the groans went on and they were not whispered either. As we left the ferry boat which landed us at Philadelphia we were marched around tables loaded with good things, a portion of which disappeared very soon after we were ordered to halt and charge.  Long live Philadelphia.

The officers of the day just came around and informed me that the whole Regiment are to be marched over to Washington in about two hours and present themselves before Old Abe.  He says I will have to stay here and take care of things and attend to the guards as I am sergeant of the same today.  He also said that we are going to leave this camp tomorrow morning at 4 o'clock.  Where we are going I do not know; the head officers keep their own secrets and we smaller fish do as we are commanded.  I am enjoying very good health and find I can endure much more than I expected I could.  I am not sorry I enlisted for the war which is now developing itself in our once happy but now greatly distracted country.

Saturday, Aug. 10th:  This morning finds me about five miles from where we started yesterday.  We are now on the south side of the Potomac and in an enemy's land. The country is mountainous and worth, I judge, about nine cents per square mile, taking out the peach orchards and mellon patches--These abound in great quantities--Their fruit is now in market for those who are good at stealing or have money to spend.  I am very much disappointed in the appearance of things South. The land is barren and shows the effects of bad cultivation. The houses look as if they had been built about four hundred years, and had been white washed every six months. Every thing shows the effects of extreme laziness. There is no style to anything, excepting those who are wealthy and own a lot of slaves. They usually have things in good shape, but very different from New York style; even the city of Washington, except the public buildings, but poorly compares with our Northern cities.

When I left Greene [Chenango Co., NY], I intended to return before going to the seat of War, but our sudden departure from Camp Scott prevented me from doing so.  It is very doubtful whether I ever see my friends in Chenango again or not.  I expect soon to be on the battle field, and likely there to die; for I intend to face the music and do what I can to save my country's Flag.  I believe I am discharging a duty which I owe both to God and man, and hope I shall never shrink from that duty.  Christians in Chenango, when you bow at your pleasant homes around your family altars, and thank the giver of all good for the blessings you enjoy, remember at the throne of Grace those who have sacrificed all the blessings and comforts of home in order to save their country from the hands of traitors.  Many of the soldiers are very wicked, and if they fall on the fettle field, notwithstanding, they died in a good cause, yet Heaven can not be theirs.  I am trying to discharge my duty as a Christian, and if I never see you again on earth, I hope to meet many of you in Heaven, where wars never come, and where friends never part.

My address is Washington, 3d Regiment, Excelsior Brigade, Col Nelson Taylor, care of Capt. Quarterman.  I would be glad to hear from any of you at any time.  If you write, make the directions as plain as possible.
Yours Truly
John W White
______________________________________________________________________________

Chenango Telegraph, Feb. 19, 1862:  "The men of the regiment who came from Chenango are all healthy and looking well....White has been promoted to the 1st Sergeantcy of his company, by the Colonel, who had noticed him and become favorably impressed with his abilities and integrity."

From Adjutant Report for 74th New York Volunteer Infantry
WHITE, JOHN W.:  Age 26 years.  Enlisted, June 15, 1861, at Greene, to serve three years; mustered in as sergeant, Co. C, July 7, 1861; promoted first Sergeant, December 17, 1861; killed in action, August 29, 1862, at Bull Run, Va.

Death of John W. White
Chenango American, September 18, 1862
A letter received at East Greene, gives reason to believe that John W. White, of the 5th Reg. Sickles' Brigade, who enlisted from this town as a private, but who was recently promoted to a Lieutenantcy [sic], has been killed. The letter is written by a surgeon of a Pennsylvania Regiment, who enclosed a letter which had been written to Mr. White by a friend at East Greene, and from which the surgeon ascertained the address.  He says he found the letter "by" a dead officer, and that he caused him to be buried, and marked the spot.  If found upon the person of the officer, which the letter implies, there can be no doubt but that it was Lieut. White.  He was a very exemplary young man, bearing an excellent character for integrity and uprightness.  Our readers may perhaps remember correspondence from his pen which has appeared in our columns, breathing a spirit of patriotism and entire devotion to his country, worthy of the holy cause he was engaged in.  Though met where he prophesied it would, in the face of the enemy, his fate is mourned by many.

From findagrave.com:  Burial at Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment