Friday, September 6, 2019

Letter from the 27th Regiment - November 1861

Letter from the 27th Regiment
Chenango American, November 28, 1861


The following is an extract of a letter written by Oscar Phelps, of this town [Greene, NY], now in Alexandria, Va., a member of the 27th Regiment.

Camp Franklin
Alexandria, Nov. 14, 1861
Friend V---, Once more as time (the old conqueror of all things) is passing rapidly away, I take the opportunity of writing a few lines in answer to your kind letter.  I received the books and those other necessaries you sent me, all safe, for which please accept my heartiest thanks and best wishes as a small tribute in return for your remembrance of one who thinks himself unworthy of such kindness; how they make a soldier think of kind ones at home.  I would not forget to mention that A---, gave me a large piece of that butter which I suppose was made by that good mother of yours.  O what should we do if there were none to remember us at home.  Little did I think when I lived at your house, that in so short a time this happy and peaceful country, the pride of nations, would be engaged in civil war, brother against brother, but such truly is now the case.  I think the army a dreadful place, and but to fight for my country and defend it against traitors, I should never have enlisted, as a military life has no charms for me.  I have never been homesick and never wish to return until all is restored to peace. Sometimes I think I would like to be at home for the purpose of attending school, but know very well I could not enjoy myself while the present crisis exists.

Today there has been a grand review of General Franklin's division (of which the 27th forms a part) by Geo. McClellan and staff; it was truly a magnificent sight even to soldiers.  I wish you could have been here and witnessed it.  I guess you would have tho't it quite an army, although there were only twelve regiments of infantry, three batteries of artillery and one regiment of cavalry. We got through in time to return in the rain.

My health is good and so is Albert's; I should be very lonesome at times were it not for him, as he is my best friend.  I think he aspires to a military life and advances daily in the estimation of his superior officers.

We may have no fires in our tents except we buy stoves or build fireplaces; my tent mates and I have built a fireplace in our tent so we are quite comfortable.

We may boast of hardships endured, of heroic deeds but there is a powerful incentive coming from those Northern homes that cheers us on to victory, when the sky is o'ercast with dark clouds, and the driving storm compels us to stay within our tents, what is it that clears away the gloom and makes everything cheerful?  It is the thoughts of home as well as that we are on the side of right.

We got our pay the 13th which of course was very acceptable.  Our Government pays clothes and feeds us well; in fact it is the best Government on the face of the globe, and he who would not stand up for its rights, is a traitor, and does not deserve the name of an American.

Write again, letters are our best society.  My love and best wishes to all lovers of the union.

O. Phelps
_________________________________

Death Notice, Chenango American, September 11, 1862
In Philadelphia, on the 10th ult., of typhoid fever, Oscar Phelps, of Co. D, 27th Reg. N.Y.S.V. of this town [Greene, Chenango County, NY], aged about 23 years.

Adjutant-General Report, 27th New York Regiment
PHELPS, OSCAR:  Age, 30 years.  Enlisted, May 21, 1861, at Elmira, to serve two years; mustered in as private, Co. D, same date; died, August 11, 1862, at General Hospital, Alexandria, Va.

No comments:

Post a Comment