Saturday, May 15, 2021

Soldier's Letter, Civil War - July 27, 1861

 Chenango American, Greene, NY, August 1, 1861

Letter from Delos Payne

Washington, July 27, 1861

I am well and safe after the great battle at Bull's Run.  The march and retreat has made my knee worse (He injured his knee while on a visit home from Elmira - Ed)  We have not got a correct account of the killed and wounded.  Men fell to the right and left of me.  We drove two regiments into the woods, and they opened a masked battery on us.  Our Colonel (Slocum) was shot in the thigh.  He was not two feet from me.  I carried him off the field.  There are twelve killed and missing in our company.  I have just heard that there are 94 killed in the regiment.  There are about 150 who are not able to drill, from wounds or sickness.

It was a horrible sight to see men with their legs shot off, their faces mangled and wounded in all different ways.  They shot very careless.  I asked one man who lay down beside me, why he did not get up and use his gun, and before the words were out of my mouth he was shot dead, while I escaped.  When I left the field I carried one fellow off on my back who was wounded in the knee.  After that I got three canteens of water, and returned and gave it to those who were wounded. Their only call was for water. The balls whistled around my head all the time I was doing it.  I did not mind it any more than if they were pop-guns. The fear was all gone.

When anyone fell we were all faster than ever.  I shall live to come home yet, all right.  I shall not be able to do any more service until my knee gets well. We have not got our pay yet.  When I do I shall send it all home.

Yours,  Delos Payne.

No comments:

Post a Comment