Friday, January 27, 2023

Sherburne West Hill 70 Years Ago, part 3 (November 1873)

 Leaves from Local History

Letter from Dr. Elial T. Foote

Chenango Telegraph, Norwich, NY, November 6, 1873

New Haven, Conn., October 30, 1873

Gentlemen:  I have just received from some unknown hand by mail, your paper of the 23rd inst., with the article "Leaves of Local History, Sherburne West Hill 70 Years Ago," marked.

My father, Samuel Foote, a native of this State [CT], but a resident of Greenfield, Mass., where I was born, removed to Sherburne, N.Y., now Smyrna, in 1792, but soon after 1800 removed to "Sherburne West Hill" where I spent my boyhood and younger manhood years.  I was educated at the common schools of Sherburne and Oxford Academy, and under a private teacher, and read medicine in Sherburne, and was licensed by the Chenango County Medical Society spring of 1815, Henry Mitchell M.D., President, and George Mowrey, Secretary, and immediately emigrated to Jamestown, Chautauqua County, where I was a pioneer settler, and resided over 30 years, but becoming severely afflicted with the asthma, I removed to this city, where I found relief by the sea breezes.

Although all near relatives long since removed from Chenango County West, I have not ceased to remember it with youthful attachments.  So far as I know, the associates of my youth have passed away, among the last of them was Judge Smith M. Purdy.  I am well acquainted with Dr. Devillo White, of Sherburne, much younger than myself.  I saw him in Chautauqua County in September.  

I have mailed you a Chautauqua County newspaper with the proceedings of a pioneer settlers' reunion last June, from which you will see I take a deep interest in pioneer historical investigation.  But I have no written memorials of Chenango history.

My parents were early members of the Congregational church at "West Hill."  I recollect the erection of the meeting house there, and the installation of the Rev. Joshua Knight.  Judge Tilly Lynde and his brother, Charles W. Lynde, were early merchants, but not the first.  I knew them well. I was in the Legislature with Judge Lynde about 1820.

Frederick Sexton, it is true was an innkeeper there, in a house built by my father, and long occupied by him, and which he sold him and then removed to Plymouth.

Deacon Joseph Adams, a very worthy man, and long a teacher at Sherburne West Hill, was one of my teachers.  Maj. Joseph Dixon's farm joined my father's on the south.  A son of his, Abram, a very respectable man, now 86 years of age and an old friend of mine, now resides at Westfield, Chautauqua County.

The late Isaac Foote, son of Judge Isaac Foote, both natives of Stafford, in this State [CT], was a most excellent and intelligent citizen of Smyrna and once Sheriff of your county, and who I believe removed to your village before his death.  I have had a pretty intimate knowledge of the pioneer settlement of Smyrna, and partially of Sherburne.  At my request he once communicated to me in writing a brief of his recollections which I think are in one of my historical scrapbooks, now in Chautauqua County.

I am in feeble health, and memory failing, and write with difficulty, and this is not for publication, but from the article in your paper I infer you are to continue the subject.  If so, I may, if desired, furnish from recollection some names of settlers or incidents about West Hill, to your purpose.

John Foote, Esq., of Hamilton, N.Y., I believe, is the only surviving son of Judge Isaac Foote, the pioneer of Smyrna, N.Y. and if not too infirm, I believe he is living, may be able to give you some information, if desired.  I have reminiscences of Sherburne, &c, by Joel Hatch, Jr., too limited to do justice to the subject.

Please pardon the liberty I have taken.  If you have published other historic articles relating to Sherburne or Smyrna, I should be most gratified with copies.  

E.T. Foote

The foregoing was not written with any expectation of its publication, but, coming from one whose memory runs back to a date which few in this region remember, it will be read with interest.  The writer will be remembered by old pioneers of Sherburne and Smyrna who are still living.  He was elected to the Assembly in 1819 from the counties of Chautauqua, Genesee and Niagara, and again from Chautauqua in 1826 and 1827.  He was appointed First Judge of Chautauqua in 1824, being the second incumbent of the office, and was re-appointed every few years until 1843 when he resigned.  On his retirement the bar and grand jury testified their high sense of his ability, faithfulness and integrity upon the bench, and their esteem for him as a citizen.  On his removal to New Haven the county medical society united in a similar expression.  Dr. Foote is now in his 78th year, having been born May 1st, 1795.  We shall hope to hear further from him about "ye olden time."

No comments:

Post a Comment