Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Civil War Letter from Libby Prison - August 1863

 Oxford Times, October 14, 1863

Libby Prison, Richmond, Va., August 26, 1863

Friend Times:  I am usually well, and still Boarding at the "Libby House" in this city.  The house is doing a good business I should say from the number of boarders here, about 550 of us all. We are the objects of the landlord's particular attention.  He keeps sentinels posted around the House lest any of us should be so indiscreet as to expose ourselves to the hot sun by day, or the unhealthy dew and fog by night. These sentinels keep their muskets loaded and bayonets fixed to prevent outsiders from annoying us.  I think this house never did a better business than now.  We have rations issued to us the same in amount that is issued to the soldiers in the Confederate service, and are permitted to send out and buy such other things as we went, provided we have the funds to buy with.  The Lieut. Col. and another Captain and myself of the 10th N.Y.V. Cavalry are here.  I was taken the 2d of July at Gettysburg, and was wounded slightly in my right leg and am now well as to the wound; yet my leg is lame and I fear it always will be, from a bruise received at Brandy Station, June 9th, 1863.

We can form but a slight idea as to when we will be exchanged or paroled, as there are many points of difference as to the exchange between the two belligerents.  What they are, I suppose you are as well advised as myself.  

There are many warm friends in Oxford I would like to see, yet I am in for the war and for the suppression of this wicked  and uncalled for rebellion, and I am determined to stand by the old flag in victory or defeat as long as my ability will admit.    L.

No comments:

Post a Comment