Friday, November 6, 2020

Civil War Letter from Virginia- November 1863

 Oxford Times, November 18, 1863

Camp Near Rappahannock, Nov. 8th, 1863

I wish to give you some of the particulars of our movements since the 6th last.  Yesterday our troops had a risk fight with the enemy consisting of the 5th and 6th army corps, near the Rappahannock river.  The charge was a desperate one on the enemy's work.  The fight took place in the afternoon, and was kept up until a late hour at night. The enemy were repulsed and driven from their breast works, across the river. The result was in taking eight pieces of artillery and about 1700 prisoners.  The decision was a complete Union victory, and some firing is going on at different points.  Our force crossed the river this afternoon down near Kelley's ford, without being molested and are now in the pursuit of the enemy. The enemy is said to be in large force, but I think our brave Gen. Meade is not afraid to meet him in any spot or place.  The army is in good health and fine discipline, and the soldiers all place great confidence in Gen. Meade.  I saw him today when he passed through the 5th corps, with his staff and bodyguard.  He is a brave looking man, and I trust, he will be the hero of winding up this campaign.  There was great cheering when he passed through the 5th corps and the cheers were re-echoed through the whole army.  I tell you the New York election give the army great courage and the only hope in the soldiers is, that honest Abe will be re-elected for our  next President.  My opinion is that no true patriot will ever cast a vote into the ballot box against him, and furthermore, no man can ever cast a vote for that traitorous Democratic party, and be a friend to a soldier, and lover of his country.  I am a prisoner, and if I die a prisoner, I will have those words on my lips (Union forever) and down with the copperheads and traitors, and float those little stars and stripes over our rebellious country.  I must come to a close, In my next letter I will give the rest of the particulars.  G.W.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment